Featured HUGE, Mid-Century Modern? Citrine ring?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Mar 30, 2019.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Bought this huge ring the other day. It appears to me to be mid century modern? Weighs a whopping 22 grams! I think the stone could be citrine but may also be glass? Does anyone know anything more about it? I don't think I have bought a bigger ring than this before! Must have had big hands as I can fit two of my fingers through the ring.
    20190329_182151_resized.jpg 20190329_182202_resized.jpg 20190329_182211_resized.jpg 20190329_182222_resized.jpg 20190329_182236_resized.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Are photos on the way? Great. Excellent. My feeling is that it is an actual stone. Something about the cut is different from the way I have seen glass stones faceted. Citrine with this deep color has always been treated & often starts life as amethyst. The real gemstone people will get here with more informed opinions. Quite a knuckle duster!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

made for Andre the Giant......:hilarious::hilarious:

upload_2019-3-30_21-8-14.jpeg

4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Impossible to date without a maker's mark,it could have been made 20 years ago or 2 years ago.Nothing special about the stone,what is the inside diameter of the ring? If you have a lot of time you could search the 4 pattern catalogs for your ring design... http://www.waxpatterns.com/2014 Website/Catalogs on Line.html

judy, Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I would wear that in a New York minute.

6. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Age unknown IMO but I know someone who’s making rings just like this today. Almost identical. Same construction, same over the top proportions.

7. Bronwen

When you think about it, how did maker get the stone in there? Think there's a small hole for the culet (the point on the bottom) & then 2 little slots holding the stone at the girdle. There are 'tension' settings, which are what they sound like, the stone held by pressure, but that's not what this is. I'm sure Holly will explain the trick of it.

judy, Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  8. komokwa

I'd say it's from the 80's.....maybe 70's...
    it takes a lot of honest wear ...to show the wear it has....

reader, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  9. komokwa

10. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

I see a paperweight in your future!

11. Hollyblue

No trick,it's just a channel set stone.Cut a couple grooves for the girdle and "hammer" a bit on top of the channel tops to tighten the stone in place.Tension set rings are more involved and too many people copied Stephen's process.

12. Bronwen

It's the bit of 'hammering' I would not have thought of. Thanks for the explanation. Who's Stephen & where is his work sold?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  13. Hollyblue

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  14. Bronwen

A shame about the fatal accident. He looks vibrant & obviously was really thinking about the craft & not just doing the same old. I have 1 tension set ring, but jeweller 'borrowed' the technique.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice ring, spart.
    Just a note, in jewellery we don't generally speak of MCM. The style is Modernist, and as the others said, it could have been made from the 70s (or 60s) until now.
    The Modernist style in jewellery is not as decade defined as in furniture, for instance, hence no MCM.

16. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I wasn’t familiar either (I have very little knowledge on contemporary jewelry) but just read his story. The rings I saw were in LA and now I bet they were his. I have never seen anything like them scalewise.

Bronwen likes this.
  17. komokwa

OK, where'd you buy it ?
    It must have been made special order......for a BIG boy !!

Bronwen likes this.
  18. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Big enough to be a napkin ring!

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted