Featured Huge water jug pitcher with some marks

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lavrentii, Apr 24, 2023.

1. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

Hello community!
    I need your help again. Found this beautiful huge water pitcher. Most likely English one. It is about 40 cm height. Beautiful colors, as for me, I met green color like this on German porcelain. But would like to hear any ideas from experts.
    there is few marks. Number mark - 2706. Three dots and line. And impressed circle with line.

And sorry, I don’t know why, but my photos are loading “wrong side”.

Thank you for your help and time

Attached Files:

Figtree3, judy, Rclinftl and 4 others like this.
  2. JB Miller

JB Miller Well-Known Member

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Hello @Lavrentii & welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy:

The pitcher was likely part of a "bath set" & likely would have come with a matching bowl as well as other pieces such as soap and toothbrush holders.

I have never seen one with that "hook" feature on the side. Those pitchers must have been extremely heavy when filled with water & that feature might have made it slightly easier to pour the water into the bowl. You may want to search around to see if other sets made by Spode came with this feature or if it was used by other companies.

@Ownedbybear - Any thoughts on the Spode connection?

kyratango, judy, Rclinftl and 6 others like this.
  5. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

judy, Rclinftl and Bronwen like this.
  6. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

Rclinftl and Bronwen like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

No credit to me. I just reposted the photograph in the above link. And "the same" perhaps but the vase is clearly much older. I suggest searching for a blank identical to your pitcher before finalizing conclusions as to manufacturer and age.

Debora

8. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

Hi @bercrystal! Thank you very much! Yes, in this case still a lot of questions. I live not far away from Stoke-on-Trent. They have Spode archive of patterns and catalogues in government archive. Probably it’s good idea to visit them and have a look

9. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

Thank again!
    Hope @Ownedbybear could give opinion about this beauty too

Bronwen likes this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Lavrentii, another word you can use when searching for something like this is 'ewer'. I love this one& think that little flourish that would be very useful when handling the full vessel is very clever.

Lavrentii and bercrystal like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree. Both a pretty little "flourish" and a practical one.

Debora

Lavrentii, Bronwen and bercrystal like this.
  12. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I think I have figured out how the little flourish worked.

@Lavrentii - If you grasp the handle with one hand does the other hand fit comfortably into the notch?

If you think about it between the heaviness of the pitcher added to the fact that your hands might be wet the flourish might be a way to stabilize things & prevent disaster.

kyratango, Lavrentii and Bronwen like this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Used to steady, I'd think. An unhappy-making thing to break.

Debora

14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Made so that ones maidservant or Man didn’t spill the hot water. Clever. I’ve seen that on metal ones.

2706 is the pattern, the other mark is the piece workers mark for payment. I’m not sure this is Spode, I think it’s a contemporaneous copy. It’s transfer print which has been embellished, rather than hand painted. And not as finely done.

15. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

Thank you! yes, it is very convenient to hold the jug with the second hand. Its weight is already quite heavy even without water. It is difficult to hold it with water, not to mention pouring it carefully.

Bronwen likes this.
  16. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

Absolutely, this is for the second hand. The jug is heavy. And derdatt with his two hands is the only solution.

Bronwen likes this.
  17. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

Thank you! Upon closer examination, I see traces of transfer, but rather these are applied contours, and the flowers themselves and the gilding have brush marks. I searched for the pattern, and unfortunately I did not find anything other than a vase, which was already written about here earlier. I fully agree that the manufacturer may be different until proven otherwise. Any assumptions here will remain only assumptions until the reference for the product is found.

Separately, I want to say about the coating of green paint. I don't often buy such items, mostly I work with figurines. So the texture of the coating, and the feeling of the paint, its color, texture, I met on the figurines of the 18-19 centuries, German and French production. This does not prove anything, but it can still help in attributing the item.

Thanks again for your help. I'll try to visit the Spode Museum and contact the archives. maybe they can help in some way. I promise to share information if I find something.

bercrystal and Bronwen like this.
  18. JB Miller

JB Miller Well-Known Member

19. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

If the V&A say Copeland, I'll go with that!

20. Lavrentii

Lavrentii Active Member

bercrystal and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted