Hung Chu Lee print or original

Discussion in 'Art' started by orrbobby, Nov 13, 2018.

1. orrbobby

orrbobby Well-Known Member

I purchased this the other day. This is definitely done on silk. This is definitely signed in pencil bottom right. I have researched other work by this artist and most prints are limited edition and numbered. This one is not numbered. How do I determine print or original. Thanks in advance.. IMG_4819.JPG IMG_4820.JPG IMG_4821.JPG IMG_4822.JPG IMG_4823.JPG

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe the C for copyright identifies it as a print.

3. orrbobby

I was thinking that same thing but I have seen some artists put that on originals also for whatever reason I do not know. Very hard to pick up any printing dots on this piece, seeing it was done on silk.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. komokwa

good point...

5. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

On the one hand, there are printing techniques that don't produce dots. But on the other hand, if it is on silk and if the signature is hand-done and authentic, I'd lean towards it being a painting.

Did you see the copyright symbol on the signed and numbered paintings?

6. orrbobby

Strange,some have the copyright symbol, some do not, I just find it strange that this is not numbered like all the rest. Could this be what they call an open edition print?? I am learning but have a long way to go :)

7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and orrbobby like this.
  8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Another possibility is that yours is a reproduction of the same print, done with a better quality print process than photolithography (offset printing). But then it would be very unusual for it to have the artist's signature.

orrbobby likes this.
  9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

And another thought... the listing on eBay says that one is signed, but I don't see a signature so it's possible the seller is referring to the Chinese characters?

There is something printed in the bottom left in a small type size, which is common on commercially printed reproduction prints. But if that's what your print is, I'd think there's a chance the signature isn't genuine.

komokwa and orrbobby like this.
  10. orrbobby

I did see that one on ebay. Couple things different, I believe the one on ebay is numbered lower right, I can't tell if it's signed in pencil, whoever listed that did a poor job with picture. Another difference is I don't see that small type print in lower left corner on my piece. So, no number on my piece, and no small print lower left. Hmmm, I may have to dig deeper and remove paper from backside. I don't like doing that but may have to. Thanks for your reply:):)

Pat P likes this.
  11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Since yours is matted, it could be the small printing at the bottom is under the mat. I agree the eBay photo isn't the best... I keep waffling about whether or not it looks like there's a signature.

12. komokwa

i'm not a fan of the english signature...or where it's placed..

Draft saved Draft deleted