Hunting table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by AJefferson, Jan 8, 2019.

1. AJefferson

AJefferson Well-Known Member

2. AJefferson

This is table that has been in my family for years. Supposedly it is a "Hunting Table." A table used for refreshments that is high enough to be reached from a horse. In my Granny's house it stored table clothes and napkins for all occasions. At my Dad's house it currently used to store all the liquor. :rolleyes:
    It is 47 inches wide, 22 inches deep, and 44 inches high. And no markings or labels that I could find.

So is that what this table is? How old? What kind of wood? Please. :)

Edit: dang I thought I put this in the furniture thread.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's lovely
    someone messed with the hardware.....but seems long ago..!
    am i seeing maple ??

4. AJefferson

Thanks, yes definitely not original hardware. @komokwa

And, hey thanks, whomever moved it. :D

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Do I see remnants of white paint? Im getting a later copy vibe,maybe 1900s,but Im often wrong. Wasnt it Brad who taught us that the wider the board the older the piece? The top may have been replaced? I agree its a lovely piece.

6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

It's called a "Hunt Board", southern version of side board. Hard yellow pine, Hepplewhite federal style (1790-1830), is it period? Maybe, the dentil molding has me a bit confused, you would normally see that kind of molding on a city piece but this seems country to me as the doors have thru tenon joinery.

7. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

James You're back! Kiko

8. komokwa

yes...of course pine !!
    I musta had too much maple syrup over the holidays !!!!

9. James Conrad

Yeah, sort of, I try to check in every once in a while. I tend to drift off as not many "real" period pieces are posted plus, I pissed off some of the old ladies awhile back.

10. komokwa

a common complaint....but......you never know what will show up next !!!:wacky:

Hey James......I piss folks off all the time.....mostly they are nice enough not to tell me......but I apologize when it's called for..........:(:(
    as for others who are in my line of fire....4 good reason.....they learn to stay out of my way..........or risk the Shock & Awe !! :woot::eek::eek:

In summery.........stick around....you're always welcome here !!!:):):)

11. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear you're still checking in. I appreciate your knowledge and input. I'm counting on you to help me find a suitable replacement for a supposed Victorian reproduction of a Chippendale chair with claw and ball feet that is an important piece in my living room as I use it when I do things at my built in secretary. What I was sold as such a chair is not that. I don't want to make the same mistake again. If you run across something in your travels I sure would appreciate it if you would point it out. Anyways I'm glad to see you back.

12. James Conrad

True, which is why i try to check in but, i forget sometimes, it happens at my age!
    Take this hunt board, is it period? could be for sure but even if not, these kind of southern sideboards/servers are in demand and work well in today's modern large kitchens. I can see why they are popular & sell well at auction.

13. James Conrad

14. James Conrad

Huntboard, probably 19th century, longleaf yellow pine & possibly other species for doors, value is $1000. + at auction, more in a retail setting in say Atlanta or Charleston SC. Very popular furniture form at the moment, even with condition issues.

Ghopper1924, kyratango, judy and 5 others like this.
  15. komokwa

a G note...in that condition...with dings and replacements...... WOW !!!
    See,,,, this is why we need your expert opinion here...!!!!! :happy::happy::happy::happy:

Ghopper1924, kyratango, judy and 4 others like this.
  16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

James, it's definitely nice to see you popping in again.....I think we all miss your presence and expertise!!!!:):):)

17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@James Conrad, have a question.....how good a, or what kind of auction house is Bid Square???? If something is a repro, do they state it as fact??? Also saw a Hester Bateman teapot starting at $100.......isn't that kind of low????

18. komokwa

it's not.....it's a platform for all auction houses to get a wider audience.....
    check the site....you'll find many houses use their service...

19. James Conrad

Boy, i dunno anything about pots, zero, nada, I see them all the time at auction & some sell for big bucks, many not so much but i have no clue as to why, sorry.

Exactly, Bidsquare just offers an internet platform for auction houses so they can gather online buyers. Keep in mind that just because an object starts off at a low price doesn't mean it will sell low. I went after a swiss slate table several months ago, opening bid was a couple hundred, sold for $7500. Sometimes houses will put a "tease" estimate on an object because they are not sure what it is or condition is poor or in some cases to draw in bidders, it's a marketing thang.

20. James Conrad

Yeah, a popular myth and it probably did happen at times but the truth is, mostly a myth.
    These were "working" pieces of furniture, mostly found in the kitchens of southern homes and were used in food prep, similar to pie/food safes, jelly cupboards and the like. They were never intended to be used in a formal dining room setting. These pieces tend to be much smaller with much less decoration than a formal sideboard made of mahogany & built with less expensive woods like hard pine.
    In other words, purrrrrrrrrrrfect for today's large eat in kitchens, small, clean hepplewhite design and very functional.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    komokwa, cxgirl, Bakersgma and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted