Featured Hy Mayer 1921 Calendar - Tiss-me Doll - help with listing

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Bookahtoo, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

This is another piece I got in the ephemera collection of Bronwen's mother.
    It is a 1921 calendar with the illustration done by Hy Mayer. He was a cartoonist who designed a Tiss-me doll for the G. Borgfeldt doll company. His version of the Tiss-me doll became hugely popular. (I'm a little unclear on the evolution of the Tiss-me doll).

Anyway, I would like to list this on ebay, and am thinking of listing it in two categories - dolls, and collectible calendars. I can't figure out how much it costs to add a second listing category. I guess if someone can help me with that, I can decide whether it's worth the cost.
    Thanks for your help!

DSCN7554.JPG

DSCN7560.JPG

DSCN7574.JPG

DSCN7563.JPG

DSCN7580.JPG

2. Bookahtoo

Oh - the whole piece is about 6" wide and 14" tall.

Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. Bookahtoo

PS - can anyone recommend a good, relatively inexpensive camera? I've given up on this one.

4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Here are three point and shoot cameras recommended by Consumer Reports. If you are interested in a particular model, I can send you more information about it.

[​IMG]
    BEST BUY POINT-AND-SHOOT CAMERA
    Canon PowerShot ELPH 360 HS
    Price: $200
    Shop
    Type: Point-and-shoot camera
    With a long 12x zoom and very good image stabilization, this small point-and-shoot produces Very Good still-image results but only Good video footage, according to CR’s tests. It can’t shoot 4K video. It does rate a reasonable Good rating for ease of use and performs very strongly in low light, capturing crisp images. But battery life is weaker than average.

[​IMG]
    RECOMMENDED POINT-AND-SHOOT CAMERA
    Sony Cyber-shot WX350
    Price: $290
    Shop
    With a 20x optical zoom that pulls you tight to distant subjects, this WiFi-enabled camera is great for travel, especially because it’s barely thicker than most cell phones. The key: Strong image stabilization that CR scored a Very Good, meaning that even when zoomed, your shots will stay sharp. Battery life is also great, and though it shoots only HD video, not 4K, CR gave resulting footage a Good rating.

[​IMG]
    BEST BUY POINT-AND-SHOOT CAMERA
    Canon PowerShot ELPH 190 IS
    Price: $160
    Shop
    This small point-and-shoot snaps Very Good stills, according to CR’s tests, but a rating of only Fair for video quality is weaker than the performance of many other options. And battery life is also somewhat limited. Ease of use rates a Good, but the menus can be confusing. Upsides include a long zoom with strong image stabilization.

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I have done very well with & paid much less for the 2 pre-owned cameras I have bought on eBay. It is only 2 because after years of good service a tiny plastic bit broke on the first so the battery compartment couldn't stay tightly closed. Kills me to have to retire it for that (What do you do with an unusable camera?), but bought one just like it for $20.

6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I replaced my Fuji with a Fuji after getting some advice here. I liked my old one better. But the lens froze up in a certain position and so it sits on my desk. I figure one day I can sell it as vintage. LOL

Figtree3, Bronwen and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

My cameras are Fujifilm Finepix. Think not made anymore. I asked a couple of sellers from whom I was a regular buyer what camera they used to get their very good photos of small things & the Finepix was the one with the greatest supermacro capability.

pearlsnblume and Figtree3 like this.
  8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I believe it is just a nominal fee to list in 2 categories. It use to be so much easier to find out information on eBay as far as costs but as far as I can see if you do not have a store you will pay $0.35, if you have a starter store you will pay $0.30 & if you have a basic store you will pay $0.25.

9. Bookahtoo

Thanks Kiko!

pearlsnblume and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. Bookahtoo

I'll look into Fuji Pearls and Bronwen. Thanks.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  11. Bookahtoo

Thanks, Peggy. That cheap? Wow. I guess that settles that question!

pearlsnblume and bercrystal like this.
  12. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

@Bookahtoo Unless they have changed this within the last few years, it goes like this : Normal listing cost up front for each category BUT you ALSO pay FVF (final value fees) in each category (ie 2x)

IMHO you'd do better listing in calendars alone - although doll related, it's not a doll - say so in title keywords and skip the doubled fees, unless the profit warrants

pearlsnblume, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. judy

judy Well-Known Member

pearlsnblume likes this.
  14. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I found a couple of others made of chalk......The Heubach is adorable.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  15. Bookahtoo

Yikes! Thanks Rufus! So if it sold for $100 I'd pay $20 instead of $10 in final value fees!

I did see that doll Judy. Thanks. She is very pretty.

The one designed by Hy Mayer seemed to be all the rage for a while at least.

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  16. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I gave up on my digital camera last year, we still have it but I find my iPhone takes much better photos!

judy, pearlsnblume and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  17. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

Unless they have changed policy, yes, exactly. More exposure is at a premium for the return, and not worth it imho -- use your 80-character (all of them!) title keywords to do the same work without their double dip.

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  18. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I don't think that is the current policy...or have I been missing something? Thought the final value fee was calculated as a percentage of the total amount of the sale, including shipping. There is an insertion fee to list in a 2nd category, 35 cents, I think.

Could be wrong about this, but I don't think there is a double final value fee if you use two categories.

Anyone know the current policy for sure?

judy and bercrystal like this.
  19. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

List in two categories:
    Insertion and optional listing upgrade fees apply for each category. The higher of the two final value fees is charged, if your item sells.

20. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

So if your second category is a higher percentage than you pay that one.

Figtree3 and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted