Hydrogen Peroxide cleaning. How do you do it?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by moreotherstuff, May 4, 2016.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

And where do you get the peroxide? And what is it's concentration?

KingofThings likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

You can buy peroxide bleach at the grocery store. I've tried that, to no effect. Too weak?

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Mary Delaney

Mary Delaney Well-Known Member

4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Following!

KingofThings likes this.
  5. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

There is a very specific "%" of hydrogen peroxide that is recommended for cleaning porcelain. I tried years ago with good results. I bought the correct solution from a hair salon distributor. I don't remember exactly the %, I will see if I have it my notes somewhere. For as long as you soak in solution, you need to soak in plain water for the same amount of time. Another method is to put item in the oven on low heat and brown gunk in crazing oozes out. Ugg.

moreotherstuff and KingofThings like this.
  6. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Disclaimer: Tried both both methods on common but older china, nothing valuable. And can't use if items have gold trim or unfired (cold) painting.

KingofThings and moreotherstuff like this.
  7. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Go to a beauty supply store and buy clear 40% peroxide. I've bought 30% when they were out of 40%, and it works well, too, but not as fast as the 40%.

PLEASE be cognizant of fumes and wear rubber gloves when you pour it into a container. Do not get the peroxide on you or anything else. I use a heavy plastic container (those big kitty litter containers work well). Pour the peroxide in, again being careful not to splash it or get it on your skin or in your eyes. Then submerge the china, put the lid on the container, and keep it in a cool place. Check it every 2-3 days. I've had items come clean in a couple of days, others have taken a couple of weeks.

After the item comes "clean", carefully (wear those gloves!) remove it, wrap in a towel and take it to the sink for washing. Some people recommend baking it in a warm oven after cleaning, but I seldom do this.

You can re-use the solution a number of times. If you decide to dispose of it, again, be careful not to splash.

As for gold trim, I have an old pitcher with gold trim soaking right now and the gold isn't affected. I don't know about all gold, though, but just saying I've never had gold trim affected.

Essentially, you're using an oxy-type cleaner on steroids. It's worked quite a few miracles for me.

8. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thank you so much! I'll store your information away in case I need it ever. :) I may even try it on my poor old Liverpool pitcher.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have used the H2O2 on a lot of discolored china, mostly white ironstone. However I used it on an old piece of English ironstone with a pink, blue and green design. The pink disappeared completely.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  10. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I used the same percentages, 30% or 40% from Sally's Beauty Supply without any effect to the gold trim.

I've also diluted it with water and still had great results. It isn't cheap so I decided to see if it would work even if diluted and it worked great, just took a little longer. Always use rubber gloves!

They also sell this in a cream. I've used the cream on pieces that just had a small stained area and it wasn't necessary to do the entire piece. I put the creme directly on the stain and then covered it with a damp paper towel cut slightly larger than the stained area. I check it every few hours, but sometimes, it might take a day or two or require a second application depending on the stain. Always do this with rubber gloves!

I also tried using OxiClean. It is less expensive to use but it takes longer. It doesn't burn the skin like Peroxide.

I've never baked pieces after cleaning. After washing, I do let it soak in water for several hours and wash again just to make sure all the peroxide is gone.

moreotherstuff and KingofThings like this.
  11. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I use the regular peroxide from the pharmacy.
    Usually for a coffee cup or plate. Nothing bigger. I put the peroxide in/on it and leave it for several days. Sometimes add more peroxide, but usually don't need to. Works for me.

Adding:
    I don't bake either, just wash with soap and water.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted