Featured I’ve Been Framed!

Discussion in 'Art' started by i need help, Mar 29, 2019.

1. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Thank you!! Absolutely fascinating to me! WHY, WHY don't I have a printer??????? :( :(

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WONDERFUL LINK!!!! I've had that image of the 'trompe l’oeil painted frame' boy on my computer for FOREVER!!!! I just LOVE it!!!!! But frames in general are fascinating and seemingly can make or break it's contents!

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I also found THIS story fascinating......read how the artist put himself and the carver of the frame IN the painting and what the carver did with the frame!!!!!

[​IMG]

Vasiliy Pukirev (1832-90),The Unequal Marriage, 1862, carved giltwood frame by craftsman Grebensky (fl.1860-70s). State Tretyakov Gallery, Moscow

Vasiliy Pukirev’s painting, The unequal marriage, is autobiographical, showing the artist’s mistress forced into a marriage of convenience with a much older man. The artist stands behind the bride on the extreme right, and the carver who made the frame is shown between the heads of the bride and groom. He was a friend of Pukirev, and decided to produce a frame which would comment on the subject with as much satiric force as the painting; so he made a design which has a conventional frame structure, and overlaid it with a carving of withered branches entwined with fresh and blooming flowers. This gives an added edge to the work, especially for the symbol-obsessed 19th century viewer.

Love it!!! And with today's technology, I can't even imagine hand carving a frame!!!

kyratango and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted