I am going nuts looking for an old book

Discussion in 'Books' started by Chiquita, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Chiquita

Chiquita Well-Known Member

Hi friends,

i am going nuts looking for an old book my parents had that I used to read when I was little in early 70s. All I can remember is the following:

• it was a paperback book
    • Cover was white with red or back letters
    • It was about salvation and had a lot of little illustrations that were not detailed. For example, I remember it had Christ going up a hill and people following him and those that did not falling over a cliff to hell. The people in illustrations were not detailed but not stick figures (almost like a silhouette)
    • I think it was a catholic book because my parents were catholics
    i know its not much to go on. I've been looking for this book for many years to buy it because I enjoyed reading it. I don't even know the title. Yikes

Any-who, hoping someone out there can restore my sanity as it would mean a lot to me to find this book.

PS: i asked my mom about this book and she did not know what the heck I was talking about.

Thank you all!

Chiquita

Bronwen likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Big book/small book? Simple language suitable for children? Bible stories or more of an interpretation of Christian teachings? Nature of contents will be more helpful than appearance of cover in finding it. Did it strike you as being an older book?

3. shallow_ocean_spectre

shallow_ocean_spectre fine.books' bumping squirrel

4. Chiquita

It was not a book printed for children. May have been interpretation of teachings. I remember it had a section on purgatory. Was an average size book. I vaguely remember but did leave an impression on me.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  5. Chiquita

I was thinking it may have been from the 60s or early 70s because I was reading it around 1972/74

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Do you remember it as being entirely concerned with the afterlife & how a person's earthly life determines what will happen to them when they die?

Chiquita likes this.
  7. Chiquita

Wow. That sounds like what it was about. I wish i could remember more but i was about 8 years old. I know it was not targeted for children.

8. Chiquita

Wow. That sounds like what it was about. I wish i could remember more but i was about 8 years old. I know it was not targeted for children.

Bronwen likes this.
  9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

That sounds like those little religious pamphlets they used to hand out. They looked like little books,and were very graphic in design . And scary ! Jehovah witness I think.

Bronwen, Christmasjoy and Chiquita like this.
  10. Chiquita

I remember it was a book. It was pretty big

Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I think you may be thinking of Jack Chick tracts (not Jehovah's Witness, but fundamentalist Christian).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Chick

Of course, not to say there aren't other creepy-scary Christian tracts, these are just the creepy-scary ones I remember.

Chiquita and Bronwen like this.
  12. Chiquita

It was not the Jack Chick tracks. This was a book and the illustrations were more like silhouettes.

13. Alex Horst

Alex Horst New Member

If I was looking for a book like this. I'd start my search with an artist illustrator. Usually, if the artist is more or less famous, information is published about where and when his works were published (in which books).

Chiquita likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted