Featured I bought a Jade Pendant that has a Swastika in the 14k Center?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by thefathand, Nov 15, 2017.

1. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

Please, I know swastika's are not cool!! If you are sensitive to seeing them, then this may not be the thread for you. My guess is this Jade piece was made in the early 1900's but that's just a guess from some quick research I did. Most collectors know that the swastika was originally used in a positive way, before Nazi Germany made them bad!! They were used in the far East by Buddhist, Hindus and Jainism and still are used in some countries and religions. They were also used in the US, to mean good luck and good health. Here's a pic of a 1910 Boy Scout medal that a shoe company used to give out with the purchase of their boys shoes. At any rate, I ran into this item on ebay the other day for a decent price, threw the seller an offer and the rest is history. I just rec'd it on Saturday. My question, is does anyone know anything about Jade with swastika's? How much they're worth and the best way to sell them? Any comments?
    s-l1-Boy Scout 1910 -600.jpg s-lhealthjade1 500.jpg s-lhealthjade2 500.jpg s-lhealthjade3 500.jpg s-lhealthjade 500.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I take it the jade is more green than blue.....& it's nice.....but yes.....I know it's cool, but others will have a different first impression.
    Any marks, on the bale...or any metal part ?

The medal is neat too........but selling either will be tricky to find the proper venue.
    Price ..is up in the air until more is known.....so I'll let the Joolies deal with that in the morning....

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful Bi pendant, fathand. Lovely piece of jade.
    The Bi disc is a symbol of heaven. In ancient China it was also a symbol of authority - which came from heaven, and high morals - which a person in authority appointed by heaven should have.
    Bi combined with a swastika is a very good and auspicious symbol to the Chinese
    We have always sold most of our jade (back) to Chinese, so I wouldn't worry about the swastika. Obviously they're not bothered about it at all, to them it is auspicious.
    In the early 20th century the swastika was extremely popular in western countries as well, as the medal shows. It is very sad that such a beautiful ancient symbol was, and is, abused in such a way.
    Jade Bi pendants with 14k gold on Etsy:
    https://www.etsy.com/nl/search?q=jade bi pendant 14k

About the abuse of the Swastika: A.H., who personally designed the Nazi flag, was a dark-haired Austrian Celt. It was through extremely unfortunate circumstance that he managed to convince so many Germans (a mix of mainly Celtic, Germanic and Slavic) that there was such a thing as a 'superior' Germanic race of blue-eyed blonde-haired people. To which he himself clearly didn't belong.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  4. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

Yes, I'm actually just learning about Jade and actually bought my first one for the wife. Just had my 10th wedding anniversary back in August, and on the evening we were supposed to go to dinner I wasn't feeling well. Anyways, long story short I was straight up rude to my wife so I thought I would make it up to her later. My wife is Japanese and if any of you know Asians, they most likely love Jade!! So, from personal experience I prefer to buy the treasured stuff from the 1960's or sooner, Jade, Silver or anything else. I'm looking on ebay and to buy old gold I enter '14k 585 gold and jade' and see what pops up. I saw this item pop up and it's only $75 and free shipping! Practically unheard of for a piece like this, oh and also, the ad says no returns. I contacted the seller and asked her to see more pics because she says the 14k is inside the bale. So, I'm thinking that's why she is having a hard time selling it, many buyers don't know that some designers used to stamp inside the bale and some still do! She sends me the pics and I told her that if she put a return on that item, I would have it scanned and if it came back 14k we were good. If not, I would return it back to her and I wouldn't leave a neg feedback. I told her I would leave, "I returned item, rec'd refund fair & square". She agreed to my offer and I got the deal of the month for me, well at least one of them! :D No scratches or cracks, and a beautiful piece of jade jewelry for $75. Took it to my jeweler, he scanned it 14k, I had the bale replaced b/c the old one had Hong Kong stamped so deeply it left a blank opening in the bale. All was good and my wife loves the piece!! So it was a win, win for me. ;)
    s-l1jade1 600.jpg s-l1jade 5 600.jpg s-l1jade 4 600.jpg s-l1jade 3 600.jpg s-l1jade 2 600.jpg

5. Any Jewelry

That is gorgeous!
    Please don't be rude to your wife.:( Even if it inspires you to buy lovely jewellery for her.;)
    I love jade as well, it is in my top 3 of gemstones. The other two are emerald and turquoise.

6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

This symbol has been used for thousands of years. The Nazi version is the same orientation as your medal but rotated clockwise 90 degrees. So neither of your pieces has a Nazi Swastika, unfortunately not everyone realizes the difference and some may take offense :(

7. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

I know, I felt terrible about it but I was ill. :grumpy: Oh, back to the Swastika Jade, anyone have a suggestion for a sale price? Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to wear it. I already know that my circle of Asian friends wouldn't get that it's an old treasured piece. Retail price anyone??

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Depends on where you want to sell. You'd have to check the retail prices in your area.
    It is a shame, really, but you could have the swastika removed, and sell it as a beautiful gold mounted jade Bi ring.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

If you want to sell use the term fylfot. That is the true name of the symbol an there are a lot of collectors. I Have some Victorian hat pins around here somewhere with that symbol.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

I appreciate all the comments and I am writing down the word, fylfot right after I sign off. Actually, I already wrote it down so I don't get busy with something else and forget. :woot: Much appreciated! :D Oh, I forgot to mention that I may not sell it. I will wait until New Years Day, when Japanese ppl have a huge feast. I will wear it there and that will determine whether or not I sell. thumbupp.gif

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  11. Michael Hart

Michael Hart New Member

Nothing wrong with it. The Swastika symbol was long a Buddhist sign for auspicious before the It became a Nazi symbol.

12. Any Jewelry

Welcome, Michael.
    I agree. It was also an auspicious, sun and energy symbol in most parts of the world for thousands of years before a madman from Braunau decided to abuse it.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  13. Edward

Edward New Member

I bought a Budda pendant with a white silver bale. Markings on bale is k18 engraved with reverse swastika. also reverse swastika engraved on back side of Budda pendant. I was visiting a antique store Northern California and an Asian Customer seen my necklace and wanted to buy it off my neck? I dont know the value of necklace, so I took his name and number and trying to find a value for what I have

i need help likes this.
  14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Welcome, Edward.
    That sounds like 18k white gold.
    Best to make a new thread, to get more eyes on it. This thread is over a year old, and many people will just ignore it.
    The instructions on making a thread are in the link i need help posted.

i need help, komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted