Featured I did a flea market yesterday.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by vintagerobin, Nov 19, 2017.

1. vintagerobin

vintagerobin Well-Known Member

Several times a year I do a flea market to get rid of all of the things I can't move online. It's mostly small things and I sell everything for a dollar. That way, I don't have to price anything. I also leave everything in boxes on the tables and people seem to enjoy digging through the boxes looking for goodies.

You'd be surprised how many people are walking by when I yell out "Everything's a dollar!" and they have to stop to look.

I got up at 4 am yesterday to do a flea market. I was exhausted when I got home yesterday and I'm still trying to recover today. I may be getting too old for this. lol

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

There is a pretty good once a month flea market about an hour from me that I've done the past few years. Due to family issues I haven't made it this year. I really enjoy doing them. They are exhausting, I usually am up by 2 AM to get to the one I do. Is anyone young enough LOL?

3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I got up at no 30 a few times for the Rose Bowl market to drive from San Diego. Of course much was done days in advance...and after...and I had much fun. Even some celebs stopped by.
    I could still do that. :)

4. vintagerobin

vintagerobin Well-Known Member

We have several weekly flea markets within an hour of me. And most are year round. I wish I had the energy to do it on a regular basis. I'd buy even more boxlots at auction.
    The problem is, I have to bring home everything I buy and look it up. I've seen too many times when I thought something was worthless and it turned out to be worth quite a bit. So, I end up with lots of things that the value isn't worth selling online. I used to take most of it back to auction and get about the same for it as I do at the flea market. But they changed how they do things and won't let buyers make piles of items to bid on. I would get 20 to 60 dollars for every pile. And all I had to do was carry it to the auction and unload it.

5. KingofThings

Does anyone here do Lambertville, NJ?

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi KoT,
    That is where Sheezix used to sell.
    greg

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  7. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

always wanted to, too far away

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I do 6-7 per year but only in the summer months.
    Called car boot sales here.
    This was my pitch late August mid morning with the remains of my junque,
    I sold the good stuff to dealers between 6-7am

9. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

What a great display Davey - organized and attractive.

Christmasjoy, cxgirl, judy and 2 others like this.
  10. KingofThings

Oh yes?
    :(
    This was long ago for I escaped California about 22 years ago.
    I recall that one of the times was when ‘Peg’ of Married with Children had just lost her baby. :(
    She must’ve been there to try and distract herself some.
    I only saw her alone and she was all disheveled and looked like hell. :(
    She came by twice but she didn’t respond to Hi! either time.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi KoT,
    Sad, but the flea market used to be the best thing around. I got so many deals there I count not even begin to count. I always thought I would retire to Bucks County Pa since it reminded me of where I grew up. I ended up on the other side of the state. I have realized lately it makes no difference of where you live today when you retire it is totally different.
    greg

Christmasjoy, KingofThings and judy like this.
  12. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I do the local flea from at least twice a week April through Columbus weekend. We live in a tourist area.

The business has really changed, this one starts later, I get there around 7:00am and am home by about 4:00pm. If I had to get up at 2:00am to do it - I wouldn't!

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  13. KingofThings

It’s not that far from you though.
    I have been there a few times and it’s MUCH further from me. ;)

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted