Featured I found a beautiful Carving Set from S. Kirk and Son

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Aug 1, 2018.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Greetings everyone!

I just finished up my day of hunting, on the last store I was visiting (a store that I have never managed to sniff out sterling) I saw this carving set in the display case. I asked to see them, and for the life of me I couldn't find a mark on them (they were pretty tarnished). I saw they were made by S. Kirk and Son, and I didn't think that company made plated stuff. So I took a gamble for $3. When I got back to my car I took a closer look, and I finally found one of those sneaky marks along the edge of the handle. I think it's definitely the prettiest flatware I've found so far. Does anyone know what to call this style?

IMG_5043.JPG

IMG_5044.JPG

IMG_5045.JPG

IMG_5046.JPG

IMG_5047.JPG

2. Brubaker50

Brubaker50 Well-Known Member

Repose in style maybe .

cxgirl and MrNate like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Nope - Not actually Kirk. That's Gorham's Florentine pattern. The Kirk mark is only on the fork tines. If you turn the last picture 180 degrees (so you can read the word sterling) you will see the Gorham "lion anchor Gothic G" mark just before Sterling.

http://www.sterlingflatwarefashions.com/Patterns/Gorham6.html

4. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you Bakersgma, I definitely thought I saw the little G for gorham, and I was quite confused how the top would say S. Kirk and Son and the bottom would be another maker.

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I saw the anchor first (admittedly upside down) and then realized there was something else before the first letter in sterling. So I scanned 2 sources for Kirk patterns, came up empty and switched to Gorham. Bingo.

6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Great find Mr. Nate.

Well done yet again, Bakers. :)

judy, i need help, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Well done, yet again.

judy, i need help and MrNate like this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

that is a very sneaky mark, well done on scoring this set:)
    you are amazing bakers:)

Draft saved Draft deleted