Featured I got some great junk.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Kasperscuriosities, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Kasperscuriosities

Kasperscuriosities Two hundred years too late.

I wasn't at the gallery when this load came in. I had already talked to the consignor and worked out a contract. He had told me what he was bringing in and I was looking forward to seeing it.

Well, I got a call from the person who received it at the gallery. They were like "Oh my god. This guy dropped off a bunch of junk that needs to go to the dumpster." My heart sank because what I was hearing was not what I was expecting. I was so worried about it that when my husband got home from work I made the 30 mile drive to see what this pile of trash was that had been dropped off. I was cussing the whole way up there about having to deal the consignor and possibly having to take a load of garbage to the dump. I was really upset.

The guy had mentioned old fishing tackle which is my area of expertise. Especially if we are talking Bagley Lures. I had really been looking forward to seeing what he had. I got to the gallery as fast as I could to see this massive pile of "Junk"!

I flipped the lights on and was immediately thrilled to find exactly what I had been expecting this guy to bring. Yes it's old and rusty. It is also super easy to sell around here. This is the stuff I enjoy selling. It's nostalgic. I don't have to sell it cause it sells itself.

I mean don't get me wrong I like the Rolex watches and expensive coins but this is the fun stuff. This is the stuff that can make an auction interesting.

Right off the bat I see a pulley I know I can get $30 for easy and possibly a lot more. Those fire extinguishers are easy to sell. The fishing stuff is like taking candy from a baby. I mean I know people that will buy any kind of old fishing stuff from me sight unseen if I call them tomorrow. The old beat up no trespassing sign someone will buy that on impulse. I am pretty sure I see a weather vane in there. I mean I can see several things without even digging in yet. I am excited about this junk. There is also an old ice dolly that I don't think is in these pictures. The best part is it's all no reserve so not only will it sell but it will get people in an all out bidding wars.

13528827_1133099786746524_1961660983670871086_n.jpg 13612358_1133099966746506_8219534384374794933_n.jpg 13615482_1133099946746508_8777381640660959571_n.jpg 13627013_1133099816746521_5544291866657637260_n.jpg 13631431_1133099990079837_1755718164107793735_n.jpg 13645085_1133100023413167_3263067716765657178_n.jpg 13669166_1133099800079856_8311630746150754848_n.jpg 13669655_1133099890079847_3390419165516159053_n.jpg 13680706_1133099870079849_3296142719758691231_n.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Kasperscuriosities

3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Looks like fun! You're right...I would buy the signs and is that the pulley on the floor? Wood with the V opening in it?
    Someone will love the cross with Joy on it.

lloyd249 and Kasperscuriosities like this.
  4. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Looks like a fun bunch of stuff to pick through. May be a bit rusty and require some clean up but at least it is older stuff that should generate some interest. A lot of the in-town auctions in my area are "new" junk (aka "manufactured collectables") and you go to the more rural auctions to find large accumulations of older items.

5. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I remember reading those Classic Comics growing up- and I read Moonstone!

6. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Awesome stuff!
    Isn't it funny how some people are so convinced that something is junk, when you KNOW it's not.
    I hate when I go to someone's house and they say Oh we only got rid of
    the junk.

7. Kasperscuriosities

Yes unfortunately, I see a lot of that too which is why I get excited when something with dust and rust comes in. LOL!

I don't think so. I don't know what that thing with the V in it is...yet. (If we are talking about the same thing. That looks like some sort of miter box thingamajig. I am sure you would have a better idea of it's purpose than I do. LOL. The pulley I am talking about is in the tan bin in the 5th picture. The tub with the lantern and bob wire sticking out. It's wooden with a big metal hook on the top.

I haven't had a chance to look through all of it yet. I will be doing that tomorrow when I inventory it. I am sure I will find something interesting in there. I can't wait to really inspect the tackle. There should be some old lures in there and that is what I am really after.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. KingofThings

Oh! Now I see the actual pulley and that is a GREAT mitre box...not wood and not a pulley!!!
    I was on my faRT SMOnE. ;)
    ~
    I'm worried for you that your staff person thought that of this hoard. :p

9. Kasperscuriosities

I don't know much about comics but I am betting these don't have a lot of value. They are still neat.

Most people seem clueless as to the items they own that actually have value vs. those they think have value. It's funny.

And you should be. LOL! They are clueless. I should have known better than to listen to them to begin with.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. KingofThings

Maybe after a little 'learnin' ;) class you can teach them to text you photos of things they may question before they really do accept some junk. :p

11. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Love, love, love the three "walking sticks." ;)

12. KingofThings

Saw those too and wondered if one was a bird... ;)
    I like the lavender box too.

13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nice hoard! I think you have some training to do with your worker. This is just the kind of stuff that the auction goers are nuts about.

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The fishing creel is nice.....maybe a lure stuck on that.....I like the umbrella stand, I have one of those hand drills from my dad........& there are even folks who collect barbed wire.......like you said....lots of fun there !!!

15. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

And for those of you who want to know why Vaseline glass is called that.
    Notice the color.

upload_2016-7-26_9-21-11.png

Nice haul.
    Good luck - you should do well.

16. KingofThings

I saw the brace too but didn't notice any bits.
    There are a bizillionteen of them though so...
    ~
    I have used the bits in some of my artwork>>>
    ~
    IMG_3506 (2).jpg

17. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

When you are making folk art, every litttle bit helps.

18. KingofThings

HA!
    VERY good! :)
    ~
    Technically this is 'assemblage'. :)

19. Kasperscuriosities

Honestly this wasn't so much an employee as it was my dad ;) who was just helping me out for a few hours for some pocket money. All he really needed to be able to do was open the door and accept the inventory. I didn't expect him to know what it was. I mean I said it's going to be some fishing tackle and old tools but he doesn't get it. He is a bit of a curmudgeon and enjoys being a naysayer whenever given the opportunity. I should have known it wasn't going to be as bad as he was saying but I think he likes to get me riled up.

I talked to him the next day and was telling him that I could sell most all of it. He kind of grumbled at me and said "well, I guess I just assumed it was junk because it looked like the stuff my granddad hoarded in his shop."

I didn't personally know his granddad but after hearing that I kind of wish I had. LOL! Eh.

20. KingofThings

Oh my ... And yes!!!

pearlsnblume and lloyd249 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted