I guess they call this glass fusion. Cute pottery piece.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by TheOLdGuy, Apr 2, 2016.

1. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

I picked this up yesterday on the way home. BIG signs saying "HUGE TAG SALE" One of those 16th century colonials that are worth several hundreds of thousands because you can't duplicate them.
    I was late to the party, but understood why a lot of stuff was still around. WAY over priced. On the other hand I'm sure all the steals were already stolen.

Give me a hand, please, with my one and only purchase. Love at first sight. With a big sticker on it saying "$2.00" I've learned that Silvestri seems to be very, very popular but doesn't seem to make anything themselves. Everything is Handcrafted FOR Silvestri.

OK, the big question. Note the metal band around the whole piece. A round whatchamacallit on front, a seam around the whole piece, and in the back, middle, a hinge. HOW THE #*+& do I get it open? Without enough force to break it.

I've searched 90% of their BING finds, eBay for sale, sold and not sold, and about fifty pages of Silvestri's own site. Gifts, novelties and what they call "glass fusion." in which category mine probably fits. Nothing similar.

Any good woodworkers, mechanics, engineers available? All input welcome.

PS. 3.5 inches tall.
    ~ MVC-228F.JPG MVC-229F.JPG MVC-232F.JPG MVC-234F.JPG MVC-233F.JPG MVC-231F.JPG MVC-228F.JPG MVC-229F.JPG MVC-232F.JPG MVC-234F.JPG MVC-233F.JPG MVC-231F.JPG

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    Makanudo likes this.
  2. TheOLdGuy

NOT GUILTY.
    Out of a total of 6 pictures someone managed to post TWELVE.

Musta been the cat!!

Makanudo likes this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Bakersgma and KingofThings like this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

5. TheOLdGuy

THANKS TO BOTH. I hadn't found that one auction. Musta had something off in the description. I actually wrote to him asking for help.
    Anyway, King, if you see one of those next time you go in see it you can open it. I've tried pressing the button, moving up down sideways, diagonal and and and and. Nothing seems to work.

6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

It's a faux Limoges box, there's no real catch there, just a decorative button (sometimes it's figural, butterfly, bow, whatever), tight enough against the bottom rim to keep it from flopping open - just place your thumb flat against the bottom under the button and push up. Sometimes I'll tuck the other thumb nail over the bottom rim to stabilize and give a bit more, ummm, 'traction'...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    gregsglass and KingofThings like this.
  7. TheOLdGuy

Thanks, Cheryl.
    Push UP or pull OUT?
    I've tried everything know to man.
    Well, at least known to an older man.
    My last choice is to put a screw driver under it and pry forward. At which point the little knob will break off.

8. DragonflyWink

Unless someone glued it shut, shouldn't be that difficult - just push upward from under the bottom edge of the button with the tip of your thumb...

~Cheryl

9. TheOLdGuy

Odd, usually the top and bottom are loose and it jiggles around.
    The one SIS found shows the button stays with the top.
    ~
    open.jpg

~

But every time I try to open it, playing with the button tightens the whole thing. It won't even jiggle when I quit. Stays tightly together.

~

10. DragonflyWink

The 'button' is soldered to the top rim, it doesn't move, the box is held closed by the tension of that button on the bottom rim...

~Cheryl

11. TheOLdGuy

Finally decided the frustration was not worth $4.95. The cost to replace, should it be broken. The fact that it could be replaced for that amount was really the deciding factor. Thanks again, very much, SIS. :D

It required a strong, very thin knife-like tool.

And many thanks to Cheryl for calling me a nit-wit for not trying harder. :oops:
    There is a not-so-small extruding pin on the bottom of the button.

And, darn it, it was not stuffed with Franklins.
    ~
    MVC-235F.JPG

Jen and George likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted