Featured I hate seeing "Rogers", but not today!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, May 16, 2019.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone!

I honestly wasn't going to hunt today, but that deep drive inside of me to find more silver brought me to check out just one store today. I happened to time my visit to the time they do restocking, and that can prove critical given all the other wonderful people trying to sniff out goodies. Quickly visually scanned through a couple of the bins and I saw a lovely dish that looked very promising. I picked it up and it felt light (a good thing) and it had that wonderful springy bendy quality that only real silver can produce. On first inspection the back of it was blank, and that's why it made it out of the backroom. A couple seconds of scanning closer and I spotted the sneaky marks on the back - ROGERS - STERLING! I would guess in the last couple years my eyes have read WM Rogers on the back of something enough to make me sick, they must have dominating control of the "silver plate" market, because there stuff is everywhere. But not today, real sterling ;). I grabbed it,and snagged a couple small sterling pieces of flatware too. Total was $3 and some change. enjoy!

IMG_1246.JPG IMG_1247.JPG IMG_1248.JPG IMG_1249.JPG IMG_1250.JPG IMG_1251.JPG IMG_1252.JPG

2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

3. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

Like finding money on the ground! :cigar::cigar::cigar:

4. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I do get an immense amount of pleasure every time. Here's my best explanation:

1. I came from humble beginnings in life, and I remember as a young man barely getting by with minimum wage. So now when I find things of value, I think back on tougher times which makes it sweeter.

2. I also used to metal detect A LOT. The amount of time it would take me to find a tiny tiny piece of silver made it feel very rewarding when I finally pulled silver out of the ground. Given how hard it is to find silver in that hobby makes finding silver more rewarding in this hobby.

3. I think the stuff is just downright beautiful.

4. It's kind of like a game for me, I'm only competing against myself, but I'm also competing against the store who is supposed to find it and never let it out on the shelves, the other hunters who are trying to find it before me, the original owners who were supposed to know it's silver. So when I find one, I know it took a perfect set of circumstances for it to land in my treasure trove.

J Dagger, bluumz, cxgirl and 12 others like this.
  5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Awesome finds. So lucky, good timing and good eye!

Thanks for sharing.

cxgirl, MrNate, pearlsnblume and 3 others like this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Damn,now Ill have to look at Rogers stuff more closely ! Love the spoons,Id so use those.

7. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

beautiful explanation :):)

8. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you get such joy. Your explanation makes your finds even more thrilling. Thank you for telling about how you experience it. I agree everything you show us is quite beautiful. You made me start to look but all I have ever found is plate except for one tiny little spoon.

9. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I dropped off my Mother at the Bank yesterday, dived into the CShop at around 11am, immediately spied the blackest clothes brush ever. Really couldn't see any hallmarks it was so tarnished, but the style, thinness of the metal etc gave all the right info. Drove her back home and explained just what you said about the game of finding it, in fact I mentioned your name as a silver finder, but she's no idea about the board, she's in her 80s and rarely uses her ipad. The item here isn't worth much but the sense of achievement and paying just £1.95 really made my day.Just gave it a light clean.
    ~
    image.jpg image.jpg

cxgirl, komokwa, i need help and 8 others like this.
  10. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

((( Nate))) .. I'm glad you found those lovely pieces .. WELL DONE !!! .... Joy. :)

11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Congrats Nate & Houseful!

Love the stories too!

12. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very nice Nate. Treasure hunting can be so much fun,

13. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

You scored! and they tucked those marks right into the pattern discretely. That's a fun one and a great 'mini hunt'. For me, I do care about the value, but I care much more about that game aspect. You came out on top and it's a beautiful find!

cxgirl, KikoBlueEyes and Houseful like this.
  14. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

It’s the game that gives me the buzz too, but true the value has some merit. Hunter gatherers springs to mind! Also the great stuff you find has made a difference to how I check things out a lot more thoroughly now. I don’t always assume it’s a pile of plate like I used to.

cxgirl, KikoBlueEyes and MrNate like this.
  15. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Because Nate's photo of the mark on his latest find is not totally focused, it was hard to see what is before and after the ROGERS. I first thought it might be a J in front, but that took me nowhere. However, scanning through sterlingflatwarefashions yielded what I think is this mark - (anchor) ROGERS (anchor) - identified as a Wm Rogers Manufacturing Company mark.

https://www.sterlingflatwarefashions.com/Silversmiths/SSR7.html

Since this mark (without the sterling designation) is most often seen on silver plate, it doesn't surprise me that whoever was pricing at the store made a mistake.

MrNate and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  16. ALittleBit

ALittleBit ALittleBit

The spoons and fork are wonderful. But I do like that dish as well [ouch, I nearly said plate!]. Dish.

J Dagger and MrNate like this.
  17. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Yup, a fun game it is, even better when you score the lovelies like you do!! Keep on hunting Mr Nate, I love seeing what you find:)

MrNate likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted