Featured I have 2 post mortem photos - help me list them quick please!

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Bookahtoo, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I picked these up for practically nothing a few weeks ago, came home and hid them in my room. I was ambivalent about buying them, but as some of us have talked about before, they tend to sell well. They are making me anxious.
    Anyway, I need help with listing. They are both of the same baby - one photo is the child in his aunt's arms, the other is him in his casket. There is dating and information on the backs of the pictures - written by a sibling.
    Neither picture is a great photo - the casket one is much darker on the left side than the right, and it also has the developer's thumb print on it! The other photo has a lighter streak along the bottom.
    I'm inclined to sell these together. Is that good idea? Any advice for me? I really want them gone. Thanks.

2015-11-10-0002.jpg
    2015-11-10-0002-crop.jpg
    2015-11-10-0003.jpg

2015-11-10-0004b.jpg
    2015-11-10-0004-crop.jpg
    2015-11-10-0005b.jpg

cxgirl, GaleriaGila and KingofThings like this.
  2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Heart-breaking. Yes, they need a good home. The only thing that comes to my mind is that, in the description, you emphasize the human factor, how they need a good home, how it's a monument to so much love, we're all related to each other in humankind, these people ought not be forgotten? I dunno... maudlin, huh? But I do believe it. Good luck.

silverthwait and KingofThings like this.
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Copy and paste most of what you said and let them go.

GaleriaGila likes this.
  4. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I think most of the people who collect them, do so because they *feel* something for them, not because they are weirdos.
    So they likely will go to a good home.

cxgirl, GaleriaGila and KingofThings like this.
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Book,
    If they make you feel anxious or depressed I suggest you get rid of them asap. I have several of family and they do not bother me. One which does seem odd was my great great grandfather died and she widow did not have a photograph of him. She had him propped up on the sofa and she has her arm in his. It is horrible because you can tell he is dead and she isn't. I don't think she liked the photo.
    greg

GaleriaGila and KingofThings like this.
  6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I usually find post-mortems a little creepy, but these two, while sad, seem sort of oddly lovely, especially with the sweet notes from his brother...

~Cheryl

tyeldom3, cxgirl, GaleriaGila and 2 others like this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I agree. Some of the photo groups I belong to on Facebook include some post-mortem collectors. There are in fact some groups that are specifically for post-mortem photography. (I don't belong to those.) This is not my cup of tea, but I agree the collectors tend to seem more sympathetic and sensitive about it than anything else. I'm sure there are exceptions.

GaleriaGila and KingofThings like this.
  8. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Surely the departed are reified or consecrated by our remembrances. I hope so.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

I would certainly sell together. It would seem wrong to separate them.

I don't have any such pictures about but I do have a lovely painting of a couple of young girls that is early. I bought it because I liked the frame and can not bring myself to remove their picture so they have became a part of the family in a way. When my step daughters were home they hated the picture though.

10. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

You are such a sweet and caring person, Book... you rescued these peoples' spirits, and you hope to find them a home. Good for you. I wouldn't have had the courage.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

is it just me or do the 2 writings on the backs ...not quite line up.

Why does one say it's the only picture.....why are some dates erased....& why does it look like several people had a hand in writing those .???

KingofThings likes this.
  12. Bookahtoo

I noticed that too komokwa. I think the sibling wrote it all, maybe at two different times. If you look carefully and compare, it does look like the same handwriting.

KingofThings likes this.
  13. Bookahtoo

And thank you for your support and opinions everyone, especially about the kind of people who collect post mortem photos. I feel much better about selling them now.

KingofThings likes this.
  14. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I also think they were written by the same hand, but probably at four different points in time and he was mistaken, more than once, about the dates, later correcting with the correct and complete dates - the picture with his aunt may have been in her possession until passed on to him much later. Have seen those same kind of variations in my own writing over the years, as well as in my family members', and some corrections in family records too...

~Cheryl

15. Bookahtoo

I'm finally getting ready to list these and realize I don't know if I should call them cabinet cards because of their odd size. One photo is 5 1/4" by 3", the other one is 5 3/87" by 3". The cards are 7 7/8" by 5 5/8". They are bigger than other cabinet cards I have seen.

KingofThings likes this.
  16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Technically they are not cabinet cards... but so many people use the term incorrectly that I think it's not a problem. I would call them card-mounted photographs or something like that.

Messilane and KingofThings like this.
  17. Bookahtoo

Thanks fig - will do.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted