Featured I have a brass wall clock....it's nothing special....but it's Purdy !!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by komokwa, Aug 16, 2017.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

What I know..
    It's heavy
    it runs
    it has the Sweetest almost silent, tic tic..(not toc..) ....and the bell sounds like an angel ...almost calming !
    It was collected in Switzerland in the early 60's , by a well heeled newspaper magnate.
    The brass holder looks upside down. ( I'm thinking a marriage here....) ,
    the casting is wonderful...and the back ( not shown) has darkened with age.
    the fabric looks old
    the key has an 8 marked on it
    ( ignore the safety pin...)...:oops:
    the clock is 8 & half inches across....
    It's been in a box for decades.....
    Now...it's out.....

All comments welcomed......

IMG_2417.JPG IMG_2418.JPG IMG_2419.JPG IMG_2422.JPG IMG_2423.JPG IMG_2424.JPG IMG_2425.JPG IMG_2420.JPG IMG_2426.JPG

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  2. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Oooo...I like that clock. I like the paint on your wall, too.

3. komokwa

wife chose the color...and did the painting.....i chose the clock !! :):)

4. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Oh, yep, it be purdy! Me likey!!!!

5. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Seriously purdy! Strange that somebody went to all the trouble to make such a nice clock and not put their name on it. Might be an idea to unscrew the bell and see if there is a makers mark on the brass underneath.
    Cheers
    Stephen

6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

What you have there is a 19th C French sedan clock, or something styled after a sedan clock.
    http://www.antiqueclockandwatchrepairs.co.uk/clocksSedan.htm
    The movement looks to me to be a bit later than the original use period of sedan clocks, call it C. 1870. It could be that the platform escapement is later than the rest of the movement, though.
    The key is the correct type to be original but odds are it is not.

7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing.

8. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

I thought it looked like a giant pocket watch. Sedan clock... My new knowledge of the day so far.:bookworm:

9. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

Beautiful clock! :)

I like the pink Iphone case too! ;)

10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Im wondering if that clock face is a replacement,or someone restored it? I cant imagine with all that marvelous that it wouldnt be signed. I absolutely love this .

11. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It would be entirely normal to be unsigned given the small size any name would be an intrusion on the design.

Also, it was not a concern so much in the days before branded products. There might be something on the movement under the bell.

12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's a nice clock. I'm guessing the mount has been re-purposed since the swans are upside down.

13. komokwa

I'll try to remove it & see if there is more there than just the numbers shown.....

14. komokwa

I was thinking it went from sedan to wall mount....when it was no longer needed to leave the home...
    That brass ...handle...is sweet in it's own right !
    Excellent casting...

15. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Pretty alright. I've never seen one before. Good to learn about sedan clocks!

16. komokwa

now all i need is a period high end sedan !!:happy:

( to go with the clock....of course !) :woot:

17. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The mount is just hung wrong upside down. The swag should be at the bottom not the top.
    greg

18. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

She has good taste. It looks very like the color chosen by my wife some years back to paint our living room. None of the color chips looked right, and we even got a complimentary visit by an interior designer, who suggested several colors that didn't look right either.
    Finally she took a model totem pole (Ellen Neel) down to a local paint store, plunked it down on the counter, and said "I need a color that looks right with THIS!"
    They suggested a rosy yellow very like yours; it looks great with native art!

19. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

You have a point. I can see that if that ribbon was draped over something, and hanging free on the far side, then the swans would be right side up. But would there be sufficient weight to counterbalance the weight of the clock? And who would see the swans under those circumstances?

I'm not familiar with sedan clocks either. This arrangement might be entirely appropriate to their use.

20. komokwa

the swans look like they were meant as a pull...not a hanger.
    the rod above them looks made for the fabric.
    I tried hanging the clock by it's ring , with the fabric hanging down the side and swans upright................looked stupid !!!

Draft saved Draft deleted