I have a bunch of Cook Books I'm wondering if they're just OLD or anything

Discussion in 'Books' started by Aquitaine, Sep 4, 2022.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Else....if I'm remembering correctly isn't it @pearlsnblume who sells or sold them, or whoever else may be in the know......otherwise, SAVERS, here they come!!!! I was the tomboy and think Mom felt I needed Help in the kitchen!! AND, as ALWAYS, Thank YOU all for any input!!! It's always MOST APPRECIATED!!!:):)

BOOKS IMAGE.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I checked here for you. Didn't see any that were special. (Unfortunately, due to the internet, books are almost commodities now.)

https://www.biblio.com

Debora

3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

well, not that I am an expert but the only ones that catch my eyes are Culinary Arts Institute and maybe the Junior Cook Book. But that depends on their condition, age and so on. Your best bet is to check on eboo with the name of the book, copyright year and see what they go for.
    What one person thinks is worth listing for another may say, no way Jose and just donate them.
    Of late I am surprised to see that some cookbooks no one wanted a few years ago now people want and others that were popular, now are so so.
    Hope that helps some.

4. pearlsnblume

Oh and check out the Pepperidge Farm one on eboo as well so see if it sells well and what for. :p

Figtree3, judy and Aquitaine like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I went straight to the CIA cookbook too. You don't have one in this lot, but I go for those old 60s and 50s Better Homes 3-ring cookbooks. They look just like Grandma's, but many families had lots of grandkids but only one Grandma. I've been known to use them for shower gifts.

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Aqui, do you have any of those "Little Libraries" around in your town?? If yes, might be fun to put a few in!

antidiem, judy and Aquitaine like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Thank you @Debora!! I don't often think to go to them!!!

8. Aquitaine

@Lucille.b, do you mean the ones people build little "houses" for and stick a few books in, or, town libraries?? Got both!!:happy:

judy likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's a great idea! What a wonderful find they'd be for someone.

Debora

Aquitaine likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

But I know what you mean, @evelyb30, I think I have Mom's pretty decrepit one elsewhere in the house.....pretty butchered up too!!! :jawdrop:

11. Aquitaine

THANK YOU EVERYONE for your input....I'll check dates and see what I've got.... I do know I didn't stick my nose in them very often....so they're all in decent shape!!! Of course the ones I WOULD'VE stuck my nose in would have been the 2 dessert ones....figures!!!!:joyful::joyful:

judy likes this.
  12. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Yes, was thinking of the "little houses". Those are informal book exchange places. Here they are called "Little libraries". There are probably 30 in the town where I live. Neighbors set books in there that they don't want any more, you can leave books or take them, no charge. :) A free exchange spot for books.

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Those are the good ones; you know they've been used. Extra points if there is more than one set of handwritten notes inside.

antidiem, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  14. pearlsnblume

Or if they have vintage clipped recipes from newspapers or magazines.

antidiem and judy like this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Sounds like everybody is aware of the little free libraries in their communities. Just in case, though, you can do a search on this site to find those near you. https://littlefreelibrary.org/

pearlsnblume and Bakersgma like this.
  16. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Yup! That's what we call them here! There's one right across the street!

17. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

We have a swap shop at our transfer station with lots of books. It's great if you are on vacation and want a book to read at the beach :)

18. pearlsnblume

I saw one of those libraries once when I was looking for a tag sale.
    I had never heard of it before.

Draft saved Draft deleted