I have a Colin Richardson painting we recently inherited. We wondered how best to sell it?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Magic garden, Mar 21, 2022.

1. Magic garden

Magic garden New Member

Can anyone help me with the best way to sell our painting and if it’s worth selling - thank you

judy likes this.
  2. Magic garden

Magic garden New Member

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

show it to an auction house who deals in this type of thing, where ever you are.

4. David Broom

David Broom Active Member

Whereabouts are you based and how big is the painting? If you're located in Cornwall then that widens your sale options.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
    judy likes this.
  5. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

Most of the pre-auction estimates I looked at were around £200-£250. Agreed that it would sell better in the UK. Looks like a nice painting, I think I would be inclined to keep it. You might want to post the size, a straight on photo, the signature and the back.

judy likes this.
  6. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

7. Magic garden

Magic garden New Member

Thanks for your replies
    It’s 95x34 cm
    The back is unmarked
    Here’s the signature
    upload_2022-3-21_11-16-23.jpeg
    We are in Poole Dorset but I believe our uncle bought it in Cornwall. We are not in the position to keep it unfortunately as he left no money and we are sorting his funds etc

8. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

9. David Broom

David Broom Active Member

I think if you get £75 net for this painting you’ll have done well. Therefore I’d minimise any costs on your part. I’d give facebook marketplace a try specifying collection only, so no shipping costs. Maybe list at £95 but say in the bumph open to negotiation. Hopefully someone with a second home in Polperro will fall in love with it and be able to collect on their way. If you go to auction then ebay (again specifying collection) is good but you pay commission so list it up when there’s a special offer on. List it as an auction with a high fixed starting price (eg £150) but allow a ‘best offer’ and see what turns up. The most convenient route would be a local auction house in Poole or Bournemouth but don’t be surprised if you only make £25 net.

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Aquitaine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted