Featured I have never seen this before

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by PACKRAT, Dec 5, 2016.

1. PACKRAT

PACKRAT Well-Known Member

Hello everyone. I would appreciate some help with this unique item as to date and possible value. I am told they are opera gloves and are made of unborn goat skin. The stretcher looks ivory but maybe bone. The case is leather but in kind of rough condition. The gloves are in perfect condition, just a bit dry but still flexible. Never minding the size stamped on them they must have stretched a lot as they are about 2 inches wide. The case has an accordion type bottom for expansion to carry more stuff I guess.
    Looking forward to hearing from you. This is very different from anything I know about.
    Thanks
    Bill 20161205_115736_01_crop_688x386.jpg 20161205_115942_crop_816x367.jpg 20161205_120008_crop_459x724.jpg 20161205_120212_crop_741x249.jpg 20161205_130541_crop_630x284.jpg 20161205_130627_crop_639x221.jpg

2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Very, very nice.

lloyd249 and KingofThings like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No idea what that's worth, but the glove box is pretty darned old; the gloves are post-1890 and probably post-1900. The Made in France designation wasn't required for importation to the US until about then. The stretcher on its own isn't worth much, if you can sell it at all. As part of the set it's a help. No clue what the box itself is worth; I see the gloves sometimes but not the box.

pearlsnblume and KingofThings like this.
  4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Every time I see something like this I think the owner should contact a movie prop studio. This would be the type of thing they'd put in one of the dressing rooms on a Downton Abbey type show.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the gloves look like fine deer skin....it's a lovely set.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

I have a few pairs of gloves like those, No idea of the material though, Mine feel like a very soft silky feeling leather, There are a lot of those gloves around here in the UK.
    The addition of the stretcher and case is nice, The case would come up lovely with a bit matching shoe polish.

pearlsnblume and KingofThings like this.
  7. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Those gloves were USUALLY made of kidskin - Mama had scads of them - all in boxes with an embroidered cover that had her crest and the labels "Evening", Driving", "Calling", and a looooong box labeled "Formal". And they were in a range of colours.

She did have cotton ones too, but I don't recall her ever wearing them.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. komokwa

Ya, kidskin...I couldn't remember the name !
    The deerskin would likely have been too thick.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

10. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    quirkygirl likes this.
  11. komokwa

So, don't we know of a lost goat...who's taking up too much room in a barn....

Gloves for all, I say !!! :hilarious::hilarious:

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  12. lloyd249

and a whale bone stretcher

KingofThings likes this.
  13. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Deerskin is used for welding gloves.
    No Komo....NOT for welding> gloves. ;)

lloyd249 likes this.
  14. KingofThings

Jeez! Weren't they big enough???
    :wideyed::eek::rolleyes:

lloyd249 likes this.
  15. lloyd249

and unborn goat skin , so they killed a poor pego goat and cut her baby out and made gloves with it , i don't think i could live with that lol

16. KingofThings

:(

17. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Hmmm.... I've never heard of it being unborn goat skin. I thought it was from young goats that are called "kids" like young sheep are called lambs. The meat of young sheep is lamb and meat from adult sheep is mutton. Meat of adult goats is called chevon or cabrito and meat of young goats is called capretto or kid. None of this is pleasant, like beef of adult steers and veal is calves. I have about stopped eating veal, but it is so tender. Just think or allllll the young animals (lambs, kids, calves, etc...) that were used in religious animal sacrifices since the beginning of time spanning from pagan worship to Judaism, Bali Hinduism, Islam, and I believe some early Christian groups and possible by some today.

Edit:
    https://pierotucci.wordpress.com/2012/11/13/what-is-kidskin-leather/

--- Susan

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    lloyd249 and KingofThings like this.
  18. komokwa

Good...I thought you meant Gelding !!!!!

19. PACKRAT

PACKRAT Well-Known Member

Hello and Thank you very much to everyone who replied with information and opinions on my query. Incredible diversity! This is a wonderful little corner of the internet.
    Bill

KingofThings likes this.
  20. Terry90

Terry90 New Member

Love it! Great piece to decorate a boutique. But I don't think the value
    Is great unless attached to the name of someone famous

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted