I have no clue regarding this!

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Hunter S., Sep 17, 2020.

1. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

I found this inside the big lot I bought and I plan to post some more interesting finds...

It's a photo slide (?! I am unsure) of some kind with an interesting photo (I am guessing this is a transparent photography of a panting).

I had to point it to the light and then take a photo...when you just put it on the surface and take a picture it just seems like a black slide.

I am very interested to hear your opinions.

PhotoSlide 1-1.jpg PhotoSlide 1-2.jpg PhotoSlide 1-3.jpg PhotoSlide 1-4.jpg PhotoSlide 1-5.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

1950s. What size is it? A small piece of acetate film? Looks like a proof of some kind because it provides colors.

Debora

Bronwen, Hunter S. and Bakersgma like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Slides are usually mounted in a cardboard "frame." There's none there?

Bronwen and Hunter S. like this.
  4. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

It's a black cardboard frame...not to thick...this plastic that covers it is hard to take a photo of...but it's kind matte black on one side and kinda white matte on the other side (I am talking about the plastic rapping around it)...the cardboard frame is 31 cm x 26 cm (12.20 in x 10.23 in) (cardboard frame itself is black on both sides) and the transparent photo itself is 23 cm x 18.5 cm (9.05 in x 7.28 in)

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Looks like a color test image for?? lighting,film,movie camera??

Hunter S. likes this.
  6. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

That looks like a great lot you bought! I think she is rather wonderful, whatever she is.

Hunter S. likes this.
  7. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

I have no clue as I mentioned :happy: but I believe those are all valid guesses :bookworm::) there are no markings or any writing anywhere that could give us any other clue...except the photo of the painting itself (if it is indeed a painting) and the symbols on it...

8. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

The lot is my safe place now :shame::shame::shame: I come back to it every day...whenever I catch enough time...and I keep exploring it...I will keep posting some more interesting art I have no clue about :pics: ...

9. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Way back in the dark ages when I started by career in graphic design... when we needed shots of anything that would be printed we would hire a photographer. He/she would shoot 8x10 (here in the US) Ektachrome in case the image needed retouching. That's what this looks like, the color strip on the bottom is for color reference, if the strip is an accurate reproduction of the colors then the image will be also. If it's off the retoucher will know what to do to adjust the image.

When you were taking the shots were you bending the chrome? She looks like she is not flat, you can see how the frame is curved.

I bet it was a shot for a book, catalogue or article on art.

2manybooks and Fid like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's such a strange image, isn't it? Doesn't look like it would have been created for any commercial purpose.

Debora

11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I agree, that is why I thought an art book, catalog or article. In those times anything that got printed had to be shot to chrome :)

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If I had to guess... I'd think it was a portrait. It might even be a Dalí. He did a lot of commissions. Although, that Greek device isn't something I'd associate with him.

Debora

1064.jpg

13. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Portrait photo of a queen or princess - the snakes and mountains look Mediterranean.

Draft saved Draft deleted