Featured I have seen these chairs before. What r They?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Bdigger, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure I have seen this type of chair on Antiques Roadshow. But I know nothing about Furniture. Does anybody know anything about them? They want $250 for them.....Is that a good buy? chairs.jpg

2. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They're a good buy if you're going to use them yourself and the chairs are in good condition. Nice quality new dining room chairs can cost more than that apiece. Even if the antique value is nil, that price tag beats the heck out of the price for a new set.

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

They need refinishing if your going to keep them,and that gets pricey,even if you do it yourself. Wich I do not reccomend ! $40 or so apiece is about right.

KingofThings and Bdigger like this.
  5. Bdigger

Thank you all for the input. I think I ll have to take a closer look at them . I appreciate y'all taking the time to help.
    Lady branch, thanks for the great link on styles. That will be very helpful!

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Bdigger

Thank you Johnny! I appreciate the insight!

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Bdigger

Thank you Evelyn. I was thinking in that vein myself!

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

While I wouldn't disagree with calling these Hepplewhite, I think they could just as likely be considered Adams style. The styles are closely connected and, here in the US, are often lumped within the Federal style. These are revival pieces and really don't have enough to distinguish them to one style or the other. I think if you search all three terms, you will find similar chairs.

I think the price is fine if in good condition and for your own use. If buying for resale, it is probably too much.

9. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

As one who hates refinishing, a bit of Old English Furniture Polish* can do wonders.

Besides which, one doesn't want them to look new!

*Pretty soon those people are going to have to give me a commission!

10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I agree with the above posters. Price is good for your own use, but not for resale.

Old English is nice, but if you can get Howard's restore-a-finish, it is better. Comes in different tints, mahogany, walnut, cherry.

11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Easier, not as messy and cheaper. Good old fashioned shoe polish in a can. Use clear or tan for light colored wood, burgandy for maghogany, dark brown or black for dark woods. rub it in let it sit and buff.
    greg

12. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

OEFP seems to be waterproof, BTW. :)

13. gregsglass

Hi Silver,
    So is wax shoe polish. BTW I still use OEFP on some things.
    greg

14. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Pretty chairs, but one more thing if you're looking to resell: there's only one arm chair and 5 side chairs. Someone needing dining room chairs would likely want 2 arm chairs for either end of the table and an even number of side chairs.

If you're going to resell at a shop or antique mall, I'd consider painting them (I know, it pains me to do it, but painted sells better here than "brown furniture"), re-upholstering the seats in a neutral modern fabric, and selling 4 chairs as a set, then the arm chair and other side chair separately. Well-painted and with new fabric, we generally get $75 per individual side chair, $125 for an arm chair.

15. gregsglass

Hi Ascot,
    I have found around here people do not have large dining rooms anymore. most of the houses have combination dining/living rooms and they want smaller sets of dining furniture. Stores around here have one arm chair at the "head" and side chair at the bottom and only 4 side chairs. I have a big dining room but only one arm chair and 7 side chairs.
    greg

16. Bdigger

Thanks to everybody for the insights and great suggestions!

Draft saved Draft deleted