Featured I have this book...

Discussion in 'Books' started by Christopher Young, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Trying to find out if this book is work anything. It's not signed by the author but it is signed by a woman who was a civil war nurse an it's buried in Arlington 30315.jpeg 30316.jpeg 30323.jpeg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Doubtful the book itself has value (inexpensive, later edition) but there may be some value in signature.

Here's a comparable volume. Keep in mind, asking price, not selling price.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Se...poems&kn=household+edition+of+the+poets&isbn=

Here's Burghardt's bio which I've posted for others.

http://civilwarrx.blogspot.com/2015/08/caroline-asenath-grant-burghardt-1831.html

Signature well post-Civil War. And unclear why she was a teacher to a young girl when she'd already graduated from medical school and was practicing. But volume cherished by recipient as she keep it after her marriage (in 1904.)

Debora

3. Perfect thank you

KingofThings likes this.
  4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I bet any relatives of either party might love to pay more...
    Some folks here are experts at that!

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have a couple of books rescued from someone who was about to toss them. They have inscriptions and were owned by Charles Lanman, personal secretary to Daniel Webster. The Antiques Road Show folks told me that they would only have interest from specific collectors and it might be hard to sell them. Yours may be the same. You might try Civil War collectors to start as a target market.

judy and KingofThings like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Wow!!! Dr. Burghardt was quite the woman, wasn't she!!!!!!

7. Misty Horler

Misty Horler Member

Very interesting! I'd love to have a look through that book!

8. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

If you had a mind to I’d ask Arlington if they may want it.
    If it were me I’d read it and offer it. :)
    I hope all of you can get there to visit and honor those there some day. It is a very moving experience especially the Tomb guards.
    I can never be interred there as Earth is now at a premium. Only special circumstances and E9 and up for now though I think cremation is an option for all.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted