Featured I have two ceramic cats, that are from the 50's - 60's, so about Vintage, from

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Aquitaine, May 17, 2023.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

my parents estate back in 2004 when we emptied and sold their house.....I could see one was probably Fornasetti with a good mark but one never knows! The other I was very dubious about as it was a different position, with a VERY UNCLEAR mark! So, I chased up the Fornasetti Website, since they offer to authenticate items for you! I was over the MOON to discover they are BOTH authentic!!! My favorite is the flowered one with the name of "Fiorato", but the standing one is named "Leopardato"! The woman said both were MADE by Piero Fornasetti in the 50's to 60's in his 'atelier' in Milan!! I had to digitally color in the spotted cat's mark, partially in blue, to be able to even read what it said!!! MADE MY DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:singing::singing::singing::singing: Just sharing!!!!!!

Here they are:

Fornacetti Flowered Cat-1A .jpg With Flowered Cat-1D.jpg

Fornacetti Spotted cat possibility-1.jpg Spotted Cat COLORED MARK.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2023
    Figtree3, lovewrens, cxgirl and 18 others like this.
  2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Your mother had excellent taste. I recall other things you've shared, all the highest quality. Love these cats!

3. Aquitaine

Thanks, Lucille, me too, and that's my problem if we move!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too much to still love....even if it IS ONLY STUFF!!!!!!:jawdrop::joyful::D:D:D:hilarious:

4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I learned about this brand years ago & always look for it when out hunting.

Two pieces like your flowered one have sold in the last year. One sold in January 2023 for $650.00 & the other sold in April 2023 for $500.00. :D:D:D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385518991922?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I didn't see any figures where the cat was sitting but there was a sleeping one decorated in the same design along with 4 sleeping kittens sold last August for $800.00 plus $30.20 shipping.

cxgirl, Aquitaine, komokwa and 7 others like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

time to move these on down the road !!!!;)

6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I love them too, especially the flowered one.
    It may be worth to make an ebay or etsy account for items like these. Perhaps rubylane or other is an option?

Last edited: May 18, 2023
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I’ve a telephone insulator paperweight I grabbed in a charity shop for peanuts. Recognised the signature.

8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

well I just learned something new here.
    Who knew?
    Aqui, please think carefully if you list this item on etsy.
    There is virtually NO seller protection on items over $250 even if the item shows delivered and signed for. Too many sellers there lost their items and their money when etsy refunded the buyer claiming INR.

antidiem, cxgirl, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  9. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

10. Aquitaine

Thank you @boskos69, will def check it out! Fornasetti stuff is pricey anyway!!

AND @bercrystal, I can't say how many years ago (quite a few!) and if it was for sale or SOLD, but I saw a flowered cat for $1200.....I have a feeling they might have come down!!! Or it was on 1st Dibs!!! It WASN'T recent though!:):happy:

bercrystal, cxgirl and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Well if we ever get to Milan,I'd love to bump into this guy ! He looks like a lot of fun.

cxgirl, pearlsnblume and Aquitaine like this.
  12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

love these:) thanks for sharing Aquitaine, I've never seen them before

Aquitaine and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted