I need advice on separating

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Garydh, Jun 10, 2022.

1. Garydh

Garydh Well-Known Member

8AC6EEE1-DB05-4D55-8453-189B40D050A6.jpeg CDCF98B1-D9CE-4CD4-8239-FE974CA98FA7.jpeg So I bought a lot of antique photographs and albums and this beautiful little antique photograph of a little girl caught my eye. Then I turned it over and something else caught my eye. I love the photograph but I think the stamp is worth more than the photograph someone said to use a blow dryer and tweezers I don’t think the stamp is the tour I just think it’s bent any advice would be greatly appreciate it I would like to keep them both don’t want to destroy either one.… Thank you

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    KSW and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

It's just a tax stamp. Google/search for Photograph Tax Stamps and you'll see plenty of sites that will describe what they are and when they were issued. No reason to remove it.

3. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Not sure that the stamp is worth more than the photo. You may know more than I do, but looking at this list I would say not. And the stamp having been bent also might make a difference in price.
    https://www.ebay.com/b/2-Cent-Orange-US-Revenue-Stamps/690/bn_111011131

That being said, I'm the type who would not separate these, due to the stamp being part of the history of the CDV. The card mount of the photo is in poor condition, IMO. However, the image itself is lovely. (Also IMO.) And the girl might be identifiable, given the information written on the back. Also, the stamp itself helps provide the date range for the photo. I believe 1864-1866 is the date range. This can also be discerned by the card mount design, among other things.

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

If you do want to separate them anyway, I'd say to try steam. However, it should somehow be focused on the stamp. You don't want the photographic print to separate from the card.

6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I looked on ebay for solds and didn't find any like yours.
    I searched lowest-to-highest in cost and shipping.

KSW, Garydh and Figtree3 like this.
  7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

The stamp is worth zilch.

KSW, terry5732, sabre123 and 5 others like this.
  8. Garydh

Garydh Well-Known Member

Good news or bad news I always count on you guys I’ll just leave the stamp alone on the back of the photo…… Thank you everyone

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I think the CDV is terrific....be careful whatever you do that you don't ruin her!!!! Ooopsie....great and glad I just read what you posted!!!

Garydh, Figtree3 and KSW like this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Garydh, I was just looking at that CDV again....looks like the girl has a brace on HER left leg.....I just thought that unusual!!! Don't know if that was picked up before!!

Garydh likes this.
  11. Garydh

Garydh Well-Known Member

Good to Eye I believe she does

Draft saved Draft deleted