I need help identifying these marks on pottery

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Cindy B., Mar 21, 2023.

1. Cindy B.

Cindy B. Cindy Lou Who

I have this African Elephant pottery sculpture that has 2 impressed marks on the base. It appears to have been handcrafted with bone tusk. The glaze is unique with a cobalt sheen over brown. I'm hoping someone here can help me with identifying the mark, and any other pertinent information regarding this piece. Thanks in advance!
    Kind regards, Cindy B.

Attached Files:

wlwhittier and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

That is very good...Thanks!

Cindy B. likes this.
  3. Cindy B.

Cindy B. Cindy Lou Who

Thank you johnnycb09 and wlwhittier for the 'likes' and the comment. Much appreciated. :)

4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Can't say I've seen anything like it before. I love that the elephants are on a leaf shaped base. The marks look like Chinese, but the best I could say would be made in southeast Asia.

Cindy B., wlwhittier and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Perhaps we could find the marks on Gotheborg if @Aquitaine could give us a pic of the marks darkened?

Cindy B. likes this.
  6. Cindy B.

Cindy B. Cindy Lou Who

Bakersgma & kentworld, thank ya'll for checking on this piece and pondering the possibilities. Any help or opinions are more than welcome, and much appreciated.

kentworld and komokwa like this.
  7. Cindy B.

Cindy B. Cindy Lou Who

I hope this doesn't get lost in the shuffle and hoping someone comes along that can elaborate.

8. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

9. Cindy B.

Cindy B. Cindy Lou Who

10. Cindy B.

Cindy B. Cindy Lou Who

*wlwhittier

wlwhittier likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted