Featured I really must pay attention during the auction.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Miscstuff, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

While waiting for the items I was interested in a weird looking vase popped up and I thought it might do as a small décor vase so I bought it. I should have looked closer and noticed it was on the floor not the glass shelves like the rest. Not sure if I should call it “Cubist”, “Brutalist” or “Modernist” but suspect “boat anchor’, “door stop” or “used to kill a big hairy spider” might fit better. Auctioneers seem to think it was made by Vilma Kalderofskis in 1969 but google doesn’t know her – does anyone??

Data 32cm High x 25.5cm x 13.5cm 6Kg

Cheers
    Stephen

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

kyratango, Jaena, johnnycb09 and 5 others like this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

"This is a piece from her renowned 'Urban Decay' collection that with refreshing artistic integrity she insisted must be referred to as 'shit coloured', in defiance of convention. It was shown at the prestigious 'Marche des Puces', Paris, to some critical acclaim. The shape is said to be inspired by her vision of a narrow back alley behind her favourite bar, from the recumbent attitude she so frequently adopted after a long session of artistic inspiration and many drinks.
    Price on Application. "

3. Miscstuff

That is priceless :woot::woot::woot: Is it Vilma Kalderofskis and not just a funny quote??

4. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I actually like it quite a bit.:woot:

But they are screwing with you with that name.:hilarious: can you take a couple more photos of the sig from various angles. This one is tough, but I think it deserves sorting.:p

5. Miscstuff

I'll have another shot at it.

6. Miscstuff

Found her. Her name is spelt with a "V" not an "F".
    Vilma Kalderovskis
    Born in Latvia on 3 January 1921
    Passed away on 24 September 2014
    Aged 93 years
    Google translate ?? "On September 24, life began in Adelaide, which began ninety-three years ago in Dobele, Latvia. Former Adelaide Vanadou band leader Vilma Kalderovsky closed her eyes for life.

Wilma's first spouse was destroyed by the Communists, and she and her two-year-old daughter Kiru were forced to leave their homeland and go into exile. After the German camp time, the road led to Australia. In Adelaide, with her second husband, Jacob Kalderowski, Vilma joined the Daugava Hawks organization. He led the Hawks, she Vanadze, to earn even the golden breast. For many years, Wilma was one of Adelaide's godmothers, a small group who selflessly and without unnecessary noise sent aid packages to needy children in Latvia.

Wilma was a great knitter, but she especially enjoyed working with clay to create different kinds of pottery. Even today, Adelaide Vanadze has a large, blue vase in memory of William."
    PICT0004.JPG

7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Just found the same info - like it even more knowing she was a camp survivor...

~Cheryl

8. Jivvy

Nice. Again, boat anchor or not, I like it.

9. Miscstuff

I like it too but not quite sure how to describe it for sale.

Mugzinnys and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Don't much care for HER words!

Mugzinnys likes this.
  11. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I can only wonder what her knitting looked like! :eek:
    Don

12. Jaena

Jaena Well-Known Member

I love it. It seems to me to be in the spirit of abstract expressionism (my favorite artistic genre) ... the shape, the surface - quite sophisticated!

judy, KikoBlueEyes, Jivvy and 2 others like this.
  13. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

14. afantiques

As long as there are art critics there wil always be a niche for people who make really horrible stuff, badly.

15. Jivvy

dude. You make me want to say mean things about clocks.

16. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:rolleyes: You could just say "not my taste";):joyful:

Jaena, dgbjwc, aaroncab and 1 other person like this.
  17. afantiques

"You make me want to say mean things about clocks."

You are more than welcome, like most stuff they range from great to WTF?

"You could just say "not my taste"

That would not be an aphorism, just an observation.

Jaena likes this.
  18. Jivvy

Lawd, you are not that dense to my meaning. :joyful:

Jaena likes this.
  19. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

AF cracks me up, as usual! :D

Aquitaine and afantiques like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted