Featured I THINK THIS COMES UNDER “ANTIQUES”....CAME

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Aquitaine, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Across the article in CNN but couldn’t find it again in there, however, DID find it again elsewhere!!! A Farmhouse in Long Island that was to be preserved by (I could be wrong here) the town, but got tied up in legalities.....but has basically remained untouched for quite a while!!! I saved many of the images, but then found one of the videos....I think this one’s the best.....it ends but goes on to another property, so I think you won’t want to go past.....in watching, I was surprised how it had not been vandalized.....just time, some vermin, etc!!!!

https://www.pastfactory.com/history/abandoned-farmhouse-on-long-island/?view-all&safari=1

Fid, Born2it, kyratango and 9 others like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Something I think @Ghopper1924 might like to at least see.... a lot of it, if I’m correct is right up his alley!!!!

kyratango and Ghopper1924 like this.
  3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

That's amazing!!!! I'd love to go through that - I've got space for that hutch with the BW in it - LOL!!!!!!!!!!

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I can't help but think that Marion Carll would be heart broken to see that her bequest was so ill cared for. It is a lesson in being careful about donations. Be sure the receiver has the means to care for something in the way you intended. Better yet, include an endowment of money to help insure its preservation.

antidiem, Born2it, kyratango and 6 others like this.
  5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Thanks @Aquitaine !!

What a wonderful testament to the prosperous Victorian life on Long Island.

You're right, I found the article completely fascinating. Loved the "curio" cabinet. Textiles are not my thing, but I couldn't help but find those hanging crinolines jaw dropping! I've never seen or heard of such a thing being found before. And to think that there may be locally harvested wool still on the sewing machine.

The article mentioned that the local school district gave the photographer permission to get on the property? Meaning, one presumes, that they own it? @2manybooks is right, its heartbreaking that such a treasure was allowed to go to pot like this. Yes, I know schools are notoriously short of money, but still. This place could be SO educational as a "living" museum. It is quite stunning that it hasn't been vandalized, and that the first floor, at least, has so many amazing pieces in such remarkable condition. Yes the house has problems, but with all the money in New York and on Long Island, the school could easily solicit to have the whole farm restored. I noticed that someone has removed all the antiques, fingers crossed that is the first step towards restoration.

Born2it, kyratango and Aquitaine like this.
  6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I'd love a look at the dining room hutch to see what glass pieces are there!

7. AzWifenMom

AzWifenMom Active Member

Oh my goodness, that is so cool! I want to just dust off the room and leave it as is. It is like finding a hidden time capsule.

Born2it, kyratango, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing that. So interesting.
    We have lots of old interesting places out here on LI.

The triangular corner shelf piece of furniture caught my eye as I have a smaller one that I inherited from my grandmother. Mine is much smaller but similar in style.

kyratango, Ghopper1924 and Aquitaine like this.
  9. Aquitaine

TOTALLY agree with everything you said....it would restore beautifully!!!!!!! I think the fact that it was SO remote and back away from everything is what kept it from being ransacked!!!!

10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

No, I'm sorry to say: it's too far gone. It should be razed and removed and the land sold. The roof is compromised, the mold is too dangerous.

11. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, Sue :kiss:

12. Aquitaine

No problem.....matter of opinion!!!!!:happy:

antidiem likes this.
  13. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

14. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

Maybe the house (and/or some of the contents) could end up as something like Old Bethpage Village!

Bakersgma likes this.
  15. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Are you from Long Island, Born2it?

16. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I ran across this story awhile back. Sounds like a classic story of lack of funds for preservation. It is too bad that the will did not provide for alternate plans if the first beneficiary could not keep up their obligation within a specific time frame. This is fairly common practice these days in such circumstances. Otherwise, one should plan in advance how a property is to fit within a beneficiary organization's purpose and plan. Many an organization has forgone such bequests due to lack of fit. There is always an option for an organization to appeal to the court to change the focus of a donation. As long as the intent an purpose of the person's wishes are met, they are usually willing to go along.

I once worked for an organization that was the ultimate beneficiary of a multi-million dollar bequest. The donor wanted to leave their home and estate to establish a girl's industrial school within the home community. Besides the idea that an industrial school is an antiquated organizational model, the home was totally unsuited to any such conversion. The courts ruled early on that the estate be converted to cash while a suitable use was found. The company I worked for operated both a home for boys and one for girls that were residential treatment centers. The original girls school was founded as an industrial school, though had evolved beyond the original purpose. The organization created a proposal on how to use the funds to further their program for serving at-risk girls and received the award. They ultimately built a new building serving both girls and boys with a new name that reflected the history of bequests. Unfortunately, all of this history has since been lost and the organization is now under the umbrella of the large non-profit corporation, Children's Home and Aid, based in Chicago. I am sure that none of the donors intended that their bequest would end up being used in this way and their names mostly lost to History.

17. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Some of you might not be aware of this older farmhouse still preserved in Manhattan.

Dyckman Farmhouse

[​IMG]

18. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Love the Dyckman Farmhouse. It's a tribute to New Yorkers that it wasn't demolished years ago. If you stand in the right place you can briefly get a flavor of New York about 400 years ago, when this was just a rural farmstead.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  19. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I never heard of this farmhouse before and I am a native NYer.

Draft saved Draft deleted