Featured I think this was a necklace.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Mill Cove Treasures, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I found this in the bottom of a very old sewing box. It has a bad case of the greenies. What kind of beads are these? Age? I've never seen anything like these so I am completely clueless. This is my new replacement camera so the lighting is slightly off. I'm still learning how to use it. Thank you. Mill

P1330013ps1aars2.jpg
    P1330015ps1rs.jpg P1330016ps1b.jpg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Glass and brass, from the look of it. They look like Czech or similar molded glass.

Any Jewelry, Figtree3, judy and 3 others like this.
  3. Mill Cove Treasures

Thanks ev. :) Can it be cleaned up? Is it worth it?

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The metal is shot; the coating is completely gone. I'd say don't bother; take the poor thing apart for its beads.

Christmasjoy, judy, aaroncab and 2 others like this.
  5. Mill Cove Treasures

That's what I'll do.

Christmasjoy, judy and komokwa like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Looks like glass.

Since you have nothing to loose.
    Wonder what would happen if you soaked this in a small bowl of mineral oil for a day or two, and wiped it clean.

Won't hurt the glass if it doesn't work. I'd do it more out of curiosity than trying to save it. Then tear it apart for the beads.

upload_2017-10-20_22-30-33.png

7. Mill Cove Treasures

I'll give a soak and will post some pictures so you can see the results.
    How old do you think it is?

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Dump it in a bowl of brown sauce or tomato ketchup. Works better than oil.

9. clutteredcloset49

Hard to say. I don't really know.
    Choker style so could be 40s? 50s? 60s?

10. clutteredcloset49

Since you're going to try it,
    Why not cut into two pieces, put one in mineral oil and one in ketchup (don't know what brown sauce is) Leave for the same length of time and then compare.

Should be an interesting test.

11. Mill Cove Treasures

P1330033ps1Abrs.jpg Ketchup is the winner. I took some beads off the chain. Vinegar helped but did not work as well as the ketchup. So far, absolutely no effect with mineral oil.

Is brown sauce like A-1 Steak Sauce or Worcestershire Sauce? If you don't have A-1 in the UK, it tastes like Branston Pickle.

12. Mill Cove Treasures

I forgot to mention that I tested the chain. I thought it was odd that it didn't tarnish like the other parts on the beads. It has some gold content. I'm not sure if it is plated or gold filled. Definitely not solid gold.

13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

that is amazing, they look great cleaned up.

14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Brown sauce is basically thick gloopy stuff. ;) A bit more like A1 - absolutely not Worcestershire, that's quite another thing. Best known brown is HP sauce. It's the gloopy acidity that does it.

15. Mill Cove Treasures

I just looked up HP brown sauce and one description said it doesn't taste like anything else but itself.

16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Oh thanks, now everytime I use HP with my meals.....I'll think of how well it cleans metal...! :oops::oops:

17. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol komokwa:)

18. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

What I like best about your necklace are the brass fluted/petal bead caps (looks like you have about 72 of them). They have such delicate, well-defined fluting and deep cups. A lot of the newer bead caps are brass-plated, or are cheap-looking imports (like in the photo below). I've always soaked brass beads and bead caps in clear ammonia and buffed with a polishing cloth, but next time I'll try ketchup since it looks like it may do just as well, and isn't toxic (thank you Ownedbybear for the tip). PetalBeadCaps.jpg ,

19. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

P.S. to my previous post. I noticed the necklace chain has a decorative impressed design on each link and looks like gold gilt over brass, which makes me think the necklace could be from the Art Nouveau or Art Deco era. If it was mine, I might try to restore the whole piece by cleaning all the brass, removing the two dangles toward the center that are each missing a bead and replacing them with dangles from the ends, then combine the two partial dangles into one and add that back, then attach a vintage brass clasp. On the other hand, that's a lot of time-consuming work for something that still might not command a very high price. It might be worth more selling the beads, chain, and findings separately. I wouldn't even throw out the brass jump rings and head pins. I don't like using new brass head pins and jump rings for restoring vintage jewelry because they're either too bright or have an antiqued finish that doesn't look authentic. I'd use a little wire cutter to snip off the eye of the old brass head pins to easily remove the beads and bead caps, then save the head pins since there's still enough left to reuse for other projects.

20. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Just to confirm what evelyb30 said, here's a picture of similar molded faceted beads from Gablonz/Bohemia/Czech (late 19th/early 20th century). The book is "Baubles, Buttons and Beads, The Heritage of Bohemia" by Sibylle Jargstorf.
    MoldedFacetedBeads.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted