I thought these lamps were ceramic, but...

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by MickeyHUnt, Mar 15, 2021.

1. MickeyHUnt

MickeyHUnt New Member

After seeing them on preview day I, got up early the next morning in Asheville, NC to snap up these stunning butterscotch lamps at a large estate sale. I thought the bodies were ceramic until I looked inside. They appear to be enamel on brass and I never heard of anything like this on lamps. Anyway, I am wondering what their general history might be. When were they made, by whom. What their value might be. I'm not interested in selling them, but I like to know the stories of the incredible artifacts in my life. They are 14 inches high to where the electrical stuff begins. IMG_2970 (768x1024).jpg IMG_3020 (768x1024).jpg

2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Nice to have a pair. First thought is that they are 1970s or later. Wondering if the finials are original or not. If the lamps feel like very good quality in the hand, they could be one of the better makers like Stiffel or Frederick Cooper.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    Jeff Drum, Aquitaine and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

How do you "see inside?" Can we see too?

Aquitaine, Lucille.b and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Round about 1980s I'd think.

Debora

MickeyHUnt and Jeff Drum like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Can you see inside from the base upside down?????

6. MickeyHUnt

MickeyHUnt New Member

I took off the bottom felt, the round circle. Unfortunately I glued it back on and I'd rather not do that again. The inside was very rough brass. Like bumpy rough.

7. MickeyHUnt

MickeyHUnt New Member

Yes. With the felt off. The inside surface is uniform brass throughout the body. It is extremely rough.

Aquitaine likes this.
  8. MickeyHUnt

MickeyHUnt New Member

The quality of work is perfect. They are very heavy and tight. No defects or blemishes in the enamel. There was a hairline fracture part way on one foot. I reinforced it with a little line of clear Gorilla glue.

9. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Agree 70's, 80's. Probably not Stiffel or Cooper since those were marked (sometimes labels are removed though). Kind of an Asian feel to the base and shape, but almost certainly made in US.

MickeyHUnt likes this.
  10. MickeyHUnt

MickeyHUnt New Member

If there was a mark, where would it be? I could have missed it. I have six nice chairs and it took me a long time to find the mark and it was only on one in faint ink. I needed younger eyes to help me interpret.

11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Frederick Cooper uses a foil label on the socket. If you see remnants of a spot where a rectangular once stood on the socket, please take a photo. Stiffel also used labels that can go missing. Stiffel also sometimes stamped the top of their shades, but as you have no shades, not helpful.

MickeyHUnt likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted