I was wondering if these are berber earrings or just junk?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by ezeepass, Jan 22, 2020.

1. ezeepass

ezeepass Well-Known Member

I was wondering if these are berber earrings, if not can you help me to identify them. The earwire tested for silver, but I think is silver over metal because it failed the magnet test. The rest of the earrings did not past the silver test, but did not stick to the magnet. I know nothing about these so maybe you can help me where it is from, they type of metal you think it might be and if you think it is just junk . Thank you for your help.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (19).JPG zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (22).JPG zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (23).JPG

BMRT and kyratango like this.
  2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:singing:@Any Jewelry will know! :)

judy likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

why junk?
    they're nice......and dangly !!! :happy:

judy, kyratango and ezeepass like this.
  4. ezeepass

I wanted see if they were worth something. Thank you Komokwa for always helping me.

judy, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I think they are splendid.....but we'll see what others have to say..!

judy and kyratango like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ezee, could you post a photo of the main part of an earring, so I can see the design? Could be me, but it is all a bit of a blur to me.

The coins don't look North African to me. Ottoman coins, but the region? The pitting on the coins also looks strange. @daveydempsey , do the coins look genuine to you?

judy, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  7. ezeepass

They look and feel real
    PB175954.JPG PB175955.JPG PB175956.JPG PB175957.JPG

8. Any Jewelry

Thanks, ezee, that looks much better.
    Yes, the style is Moroccan Berber, and they really are pretty, but there is something strange about them.
    Normally these are hammered from a sheet of metal. That means the round decoration should have an indentation at the back. And the loops on the coins are a bit too perfect and similar to my liking.
    I think they are a modern take on traditional earrings, manufactured in a non-traditional way.

judy and ezeepass like this.
  9. ezeepass

Thank you so much Any jewelry!! I was wondering if you would not mind looking at post below and help me with the metal. I don't know if it is pewter or nickle. the link is below. Thank you

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/h...lp-with-this-cool-pendant.45959/#post-1534494

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

They are nickel 10 Para coins from Turkey the dates AH1327
    range from 1910 to 1915

Any Jewelry, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  11. ezeepass

Thank you Dave that helps a lot <3

12. Any Jewelry

Ah, that leads me to another thought. Those coins were not used in Morocco, which had its own coins at the time. But the Turks have been copying a lot of ethnic style jewellery over the last 10 yrs or so. I think these could be Turkish made in Moroccan style.

Draft saved Draft deleted