Featured I Went Thrift Store Hunting on Birthday - Found Collection of 35 Old AA Car Badges!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jun 21, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I went to a local thrift store on my birthday to see if I could find a birthday treasure - and I did! I saw this wood board full of old automobile association enamel car badges on top of a cart being brought out & I RAN over & asked the lady if I could please have that. She handed it to me & I went straight to the check out to get it paid for & in my car before coming back to look some more - I almost passed out when I saw the price: $4.99!

I've looked most up (they have sold for $20 - $180; asking price on some are even more!), but there are a couple on there that I don't know where they are from - can anyone tell me where the badges in first couple of photos (with initials/letters but no name) are from? And ones with weird names (like where the heck is Jurasien? - Is that Jerusalem?)
    Rarest one?
    Also, what years are these from?
    Thanks all!
    CAR BADGES 1AAA.jpg CAR BADGES 2BA.jpg CAR BADGES 3AA.jpg CAR BADGES 3DA.jpg CAR BADGES 4A_A.jpg CAR BADGES 4CA.jpg CAR BADGES 4EA.jpg

2. journeymagazine

Here are a few more cool ones (like east Africa (I heard of South Africa of course, but never anything about Africa that said East Africa) + the back of the board:

CAR BADGES 4GA.jpg CAR BADGES 4FA.jpg CAR BADGES 9AA.jpg

3. journeymagazine

Sorry, here is a list of the ones I know - there are 35 in all:
    Cuba, Rome, Monaco, St. Moritz, Alpine, Espana, Suisse, Portugal, Uruguay, Dansk, Venezia, Belgique (Belgium), Finland-Norway, Egypte, Luxemburg, Jurasien, Chile, Venezia, Cote D Azur, San Remo, Tirol, Genova, BARC (British Automobile racing Association), Venezuela, Turkiye, Algier, Paris, East Africa, Alpine, Brazil

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice, journey.

I noticed a KNAC one, that is Dutch, Koninklijke Nederlandsche Automobiel Club, Royal Dutch Automobile Club. Nederlandsche is old spelling, which the club still uses, so it is no indication of the date.

Vizcaya is Biscay, a region on the Spanish north coast.
    Jurasien (should be Jurassien;)) is from the Jura region in eastern France.
    The one with the two-headed eagle with text that starts with 'Andenken' is Austrian.
    The Royal East Africa one is from British colonial East Africa.

Tell me if I missed any, I will probably be able to help with those as well.:)

5. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Nice, journey, and happy BDay!

Can't really help on the question, but that's a cool grouping. All I ever see in the thrift shops by me are cheap lamps from the 90s, broken electronics, and a ton of worthless glassware.

6. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Sounds like Happy Birthday wishes are in order! So.........

Happy Birthday journeymagazine.

7. Any Jewelry

From me too, Happy Birthday!

8. journeymagazine

Thank you - I am vintage now! Any - what about badge in 3rd pic that lhas 3 letters around it that looks like T C T?
    Or F C F?
    Thank you!

9. Any Jewelry

It looks like an old badge of a British cycling club, CTC. The elephant could mean it is from British India maybe? They had bicycle tours through India, but I don't know if they ever had an Indian badge.
    Here is info:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling_UK

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  10. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Thailand "Touring"? Club????

11. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Congrats on the great find and a BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Journey!
    Patd

12. Chiquita

Chiquita Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday!

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Aren't those fun? They most likely date to the 1960s.

Debora

14. HippAntiques

HippAntiques Well-Known Member

My husband would have dropped over dead!! He was just researching these awhile back for one of his old cars. (1961 Mercedes Ponton) This is a fantastic collection!! And $4.99?? WOW!!

My husband can help out later, I have no clue. He's at work right now. He got one for his car, but I can't remember what it was.

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice find..........perfect gift for yourself !!!!

16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

17. journeymagazine

:) - I said a 'Thank you for the present' to the Man upstairs when I saw it!

18. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

What a great find ! The one time I was in Hong Kong I followed a couple of Chinese / German men around in the "Antique" District..... they were 2 stores ahead of me and walked out with a treasure trove of 1950's / Early Sixties Matchbox cars , small and King size, all in the boxes, one full shopping bag and half of a plastic 5 gallon water bottle cut in half full. My jaw dropped .... they paid about $350 US for all of them ....... I was just a little too late .....

19. journeymagazine

Here is one in my hand so you can get an idea of their size + a view of the back - these are real ones, right?

CAR BADGES 8AA.jpg CAR BADGES 4AAA.jpg

20. HippAntiques

HippAntiques Well-Known Member

Ok, so I just showed these to my husband. He was in shock! He said most of these are very rare, and some are worth about $80+. He is very jealous!

Draft saved Draft deleted