Featured I went to a thrift store! (first time EVER!!!)

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by SBSVC, Jul 23, 2017.

1. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I've mentioned here before that I have never been to a thrift store (or a yard sale... tag sale... garage sale...) Well, I still haven't been to a yard/tag/garage sale, but I went to a THRIFT STORE today!

I know, I know... No big deal to most of you - but it sort of WAS for me!

I drove my daughter to visit a friend who'd just had a baby. I dropped her off in a town with which I'm not the least bit familiar, and I had 2 hours to kill while they visited.

There was a grocery store... a dollar store... a sporting goods store. Nope. A CVS, a laundromat, a GUN store! (Nope to all...) A library. Closed...

Then, sitting back off the road, there it was: a Goodwill store! Oh, heck, thought I... Why not???

Well, it was quite an experience! To me, the place reeked of BO and dirty feet (LOTS of old clothes & shoes!) but I spent a huge chunk of my time-to-kill looking at everything else. Wow.

Okay, so I spent a whole $11 in there (including "rounding up" to an even dollar amount, with the difference going to Veterans' causes) and I was blown away!

The stuff I collected to purchase added up to somewhat more than that $11, but apparently, if something had a certain color sticker on it, it was 50% off... Then, the guy at the register asked, "Senior discount?" (I was so taken aback that I didn't even answer him, but he apparently applied that, too! If their "seniors" age is 65, I didn't qualify, but if it's 60, I'll take it!)

Anyway, I bought a brand new (in the box) Calphalon teakettle (that matches my pots & pans.) It's just like the one shown here that Amazon's selling for around $44:
    img0 (113).jpg
    I also bought a Calphalon lid for my smallest saucepan, which didn't come with a lid.

I got these pewter cat pushpins, which I'll give to my son's GF, if I decide I can part with them. They were unopened; I opened the package:
    img0 (129).jpg

I bought a small yellow Chinese dish (I have a thing for Chinese yellow porcelain), a little Belleek votive holder, a Waechtersbach/Germany Christmas mug (I have MANY, but not with this design)
    img0 (115).jpg img0 (116).jpg

plus four 20-yard rolls of unused, 1" wide Offray grosgrain ribbon, 8 cream soup spoons in my STAINLESS pattern, a glass and stainless syrup pourer like this one:
    img0 (130).jpg
    and SEVERAL other, equally NOT-ANTIQUE items, including a sweet little creamer, just like this one (minus the tag):
    img0 (132).jpg

I feel like a bit of an idiot posting these "buys" here, since none of it is even remotely relevant to an antiques site, but what the hey (!!!) I also somehow feel that I have cheated someone out of a fair amount of money,

Nonetheless, I am still excited, & I might even venture into a thrift store again sometime!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh - you are in trouble now! ! !
    You have discovered what wonderful things can be found at bargain prices.

3. clutteredcloset49

I love shopping Goodwill. You just have to be careful to check all glass and pottery. They aren't very careful with it. It gets thrown around and damaged.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Hey I use that pourer for sugar !!
    & I likely paid as much for it as you did for the whole lot !!

& now.....now you've been to a thrift .......you could almost say you're ' Thrifty ' !!!

Oh...& now you're bitten...& will have a hard time passing the next one bye !!
    :happy::happy::happy::happy::eek:

5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Oh, heck! PLEASE don't tell me I'm already addicted!!! I'm telling myself that it was just beginner's luck.

I mean, really!!!

I think of the thousands of dollars worth of stuff I've donated to Goodwill, the Salvation Army, AmVets, Habitat, et al over the years, and here I am, BUYING IT BACK???

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  6. komokwa

only if you once gave them that X-mas mug !!!...Tee hee hee !!!!!!

7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Nope, Komo, not THAT one, but maybe 3 or 4 dozen OTHERS!!!

8. komokwa

Good !!!!
    Cuz we got 2 of those...just for X-mas....& I ain't proud of it !!
    They hide so far back in the cupboard....even spring cleaning won't move them !!!
    Heheheeee...

KingofThings, Aquitaine, judy and 2 others like this.
  9. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Oh, Komo - I'm so sorry you have to deal with this! Maybe you should just list them on eBay, where people are paying $8-$12 (and sometimes more) per mug....

I have SO much Christmas "serving" stuff that my day-to-day things have to be put away for the whole month of December... Mind you, I am NOT likening it to changing out the china for Passover, but in reality, some MIGHT see some similarities.

I have huge sets of holiday china: both Spode Christmas (used now mostly for everyday) and Lenox holly - the old one - with the small holly leaves (for company.)

Back in the day, we used to have decidedly large (200-250 people) open houses at the holidays. EVERYTHING got used in those days, including the holiday china punch bowls. Today, here in small-town New Hampshire, it just isn't the same...

I do, however, pull out the everyday Christmas stuff... I have an "old fashioned" kitchen (at least for the time being...) The shelves at the left in the photo below hold some 14 mugs each, day-to-day. That's 3 x 14 = 42 mugs.) In December, I bring down the holiday mugs, pack up the everyday mugs, and have "Christmas mugs only" till New Years... I'm sort of heavy on the Waechtersbach...

img0 (131).jpg

10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Now that's a warm and cozy kitchen! Love that red......it's in my kitchen too......most of it comes from my display of the dalas!

I loved reading about your first thrift visit.

It is very hard to believe that you've never been to a garage/yard sale....especially since you buy/sell? (or do I have that incorrect?)

Anyway, I think Komokwa is correct.......thrifting is addicting!! (especially the Senior thrifts).

11. FunkeysFinds

FunkeysFinds Well-Known Member

What an exciting day! I agree, me thinks you've gotten bitten by the bug. It's hard to drive by a thrift without wondering what is inside :woot::woot:

And what a great kitchen. Judy said it perfectly -- cozy and warm. The cat additions are sweet.

12. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Uh Oh, you are now in the club for which there is no way out. There are no 12 step programs for this. You can't unring that bell.LOL

Quitting is not an option now, it will always be in the back of your mind to find more bargains and goodies.

The Christmas mug you got sells usually around the holidays in case you want to list it. Some people are already buying for Christmas.

Glad you scored at the Good Will. Mine is terrible, all junk and more junk.

13. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

You must be a very good shopper to have scored all of this for $11.00!!!!!!!!!! Great job!

14. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

What color is the ribbon?

KingofThings likes this.
  15. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Uh oh, now you're hooked I think;). I don't find items with high value very often and it almost comes as a surprise.

Because it's been a while since I've sold very actively I have to curb my buying but I do like the hunt!

16. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Nice haul !!!! and glad your first thrift visit was fun (smelly aspect aside :jawdrop:)
    But as others have said.....you are now hooked...and thrift stores will be a new destination....;)

17. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

You get used to the smell...somewhat. :dead:
    Great finds and welcome to the Club !

18. clutteredcloset49

Okay what you need to have on hand when you visit thrifts.

Magnifying glass/loupe - to inspect marks.
    If the smell is that offensive, a hanky with perfume to rub under your nose.

A necessity.
    Handy wipes or whatever you use, for when you come out. Need to wipe all the germs off.

I also pack food and drink so I don't have to waste time stopping.

19. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Book, it's one roll each of navy, pink, yellow & grass green.

KingofThings likes this.
  20. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Nope, Judy - no selling... I did sell for a few years, way-back-when, but I haven't been selling for probably close to 10 years now.

Thanks for the comments on my kitchen. It's a bit old-fashioned, but I'm just working with what's there for the time being. (We moved here just over a year ago...)

Thanks Funkey! The black cat "cartoon" on the wall is of Joseph, the boy in my avatar. My son is an animator, and he did that "portrait" of Joe!

KingofThings and FunkeysFinds like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted