Ice Bucket

Discussion in 'Silver' started by kardinalisimo, Jul 9, 2015.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Mid Eastern/Asian origin? Do you think it solid silver or plated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KingofThings likes this.
  2. kardinalisimo

Sorry, wrong place. I guess I can't move the thread.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Prunus, so Asian is definitely a good thought.

As to solid or plated, that sloppy "silver" marking is really no more likely for either. You might want to try cleaning a few of the worst dark spots to see if they're pits through plating. Is the inside in similar condition?

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Kard - you could start a thread in the Silver Forum with a link to here so the silver folks will see it.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. kardinalisimo

Here is the inside
    [​IMG]

KingofThings likes this.
  7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

kardinalisimo

I moved your thread for you and deleted the other.:cool:

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Davey....you're so helpful.....when you're not 1000 KM away on the road !! :hilarious::hilarious:

9. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Plated-you can see brass or base metal in places, and some verdigris which doesn't grow on silver as far as I know.

10. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Which I will be at 02.30 in 4 hours, first trip out this week:cool:

11. kardinalisimo

Actually, I don't see any base metal. Some areas appear like that only on the pictures. There are some yellowish/gold tone spots but I've seen that on solid silver.
    No veridigris either. I can't explain it but I've seen veiridgris on sterling silver. Maybe that can happen if a piece is in contact with other metal.

KingofThings likes this.
  12. springfld.arsenal

[​IMG]

Hmmm, well maybe. The pic above sure makes it look exactly like brass in the Y-shaped area near center, then on the edge at about 5:00. In a couple of places where you can see how thin the metal is, it really looks too thin to hold up to any use if it were really sterling silver. If that brass appearance in the areas mentioned is just a fluke of the photography, it has a most remarkable resemblance to brass.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    KingofThings likes this.
  13. kardinalisimo

I see that, but it is not enough to conclude that the base metal is brass. Maybe it is, but I have to scratch deeper. The handle is removable and I did a deep cut on one of the ends. I think I see yellow but need to inspect it on day light.
    I've had sterling pieces with gold/yellow spots that look just like brass. Even if marked, many times I've doubt if they are solid or not because of such spots. And most of the time they don't come out easy.
    So, you may be right but I will know more tomorrow. I am trying to figure what is written above 'silver' but not enough clear letters.
    While researching I found that some Japanese pieces are marked 'sterling 950'. I thought only 925 is considered sterling?

KingofThings likes this.
  14. Bakersgma

It is, but the Japanese use 950 a fair bit, so they probably use the word as well as over-emphasis that the item is solid. (Just a WAG, but seems logical to me.)

KingofThings likes this.
  15. Bakersgma

KingofThings likes this.
  16. springfld.arsenal

One other feature you can see in the pic of the bottom is the construction method of a metal circle soldered into the cylindrical body of the piece. I don't know much about silver stuff but the usual construction method for a vessel is to cast, pound, or spin the very malleable silver into the complete shape at least for the basic vessel so no soldering or piecing-together is needed, which also looks better. Brass isn't malleable enough for that, so it would have to be pieced-together as was done here. I could be wrong though, Idunno silver at all.

[​IMG]

17. kardinalisimo

Don't know why something appears yellow when it is not

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. springfld.arsenal

I'd suggest if u r still in doubt as to what the item is made of, simply stop at a place that buys such metals and tell them you want to know what they'd give u for it. If sterling they will weigh it and make an offer. If not they will not want it. And then u will know for sure.

Pat P likes this.
  19. kardinalisimo

I guess I will have to have it tested because I can't figure why direct light makes some areas appear goldish and when looked under angle, with no so much light, they come silver.

20. fidbald

fidbald Well-Known Member

I'd call it ice boquet...

Messilane and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted