Featured ID a Greek scene on a cameo

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ratsy Brown, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

Hello

Bought a fairly average cameo in a 9ct mount. Please help id this scene, I assume it's from Greek mythology

Thanks

PXL_20201011_203351593_compress48.jpg

komokwa, Bronwen and ulilwitch like this.
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

3. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

I am not sure but maybe the nymph Andrastia and the goat Amalthaea.
    [​IMG]

KSW, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

This is the myth that fits the cameo scene the best. The name Amalthea was assigned by ancient authors sometimes to the goat, sometimes to the nymph, so there's confusion on that point. Since the name ends in 'thea', goddess, I'm inclined to think of the nymph by that name, but many sources give it to the goat. Rather depends on whether you imagine the infant Zeus suckling directly from the goat or Zeus being nursed by the nymph with the goat's milk. The names Adrasteia & Adamanthea are variants of Amalthea.

This is the most common cameo depiction:

Amalthea cameo 1.jpg

All that being said, I think Ratsy's cameo is a more generic theme with connections to the imagery of Dionysus (Bacchus), which also typically features nymphs, goats, sometimes putti, as well as maenads (bacchantes), fauns & satyrs, many playing the instruments associated with his revels: flutes; drums; cymbals. Cameo is helmet shell, Italian, 20th century. Would want to to see the findings on the back to pin down the age a little more.

As the golden age of cameos was passing away, cutters became less faithful to the conventions for depicting specific scenes & individuals. If the cutter of Ratsy's cameo had Zeus & Amalthea in mind, he failed to include any elements specific enough to let us know.

PL putti w goat.jpg
    Putti with goat A adj.jpg

5. Ratsy Brown

Thanks for all that detail Bronwen, very educational as always. Here are some more photos for you to muse over

PXL_20201011_203413266_compress6.jpg PXL_20201011_203503791_compress34.jpg PXL_20201011_203612568_compress79.jpg

Bronwen, komokwa and judy like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Ratsy Brown and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Ratsy Brown and Bakersgma like this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I can't see for sure what the date letter is, which is why I did not mention it. Sorta kinda looks like *maybe* an A, but that is absolutely not for sure. Ratsy needs to see if he can suss it out.

Ratsy Brown likes this.
  9. Ratsy Brown

Really struggling to get a clear shot at the date letter, but looks to be M for 1986

PXL_20201017_200453805.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted