Featured id & date an huge and majestic oriental plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Gianluca72, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Gianluca72

Gianluca72 Well-Known Member

Hello,

I would like to identify and date this huge and majestic oriental plate .

Live is impressive, I hope the photos convey the idea of the enormity of the object.

Diameter: cm 45!

Thanks so much for your support

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

That's BEAUTIFUL !!! ... Joy.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

isn't that too much crazing , to have any age ??:confused::confused:

4. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I think we need @Mat to chime in on this one. I have my suspicions, but will wait for him.

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Y'all taught me that, that MUCH crazing is 'frequently' not a good indication.......but waiting for those that know more!!!! However, the plate itself, is lovely, and most unusual!!!!:)

7. Kevin Meade

Kevin Meade Well-Known Member

The fuzzy makers mark throws me off a bit.

8. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

The transparent color over the crazing looks perfectly smooth...

It's a really interesting composition

Gianluca72 and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Don’t think this is too old and I think the crazing is intentional. JMHO.

10. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I do like the plate but that crazing looks too uniform, it doesn't look right ... Joy.

11. Gianluca72

Thanks to you all for the replies,

ok we wait for @Mat and @Asian Fever to better id the mark and date it, this is their bread i guess :)

judy likes this.
  12. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Hi, I do not know that mark but the dish is Chinese and late 20th c at the oldest IMO. The crazing is intentional (as most crazing actually, I think), not a sign of age...

13. Gianluca72

Hi Mat, thanks a lot for your reply.

14. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

I agree with you this one is in 20th century. However, it looks more in japanese style to me than in chinese style. It is most likely to be japanese occupied production(1910s-1950s).(It could be made in China occupied area, Taiwan, south east Asia during WWII).
    Although, the pattern itself is about the Sanguo (he Three Kingdoms (220–280)) which japanese very adore stories and people during this period.

upload_2018-10-12_7-34-43.png
    Obviously, he is Guan Yu.

upload_2018-10-12_7-37-56.png
    The patterns and decoration are japanese style, not chinese.

upload_2018-10-12_7-39-10.png
    The mark need be turned 90 degrees colckwise. The right word (top one) would be 華(traditional of 华) (Hua)(means Chinese), the left one(buttom one) I am not sure, it could be 權(traditional of 权) (Quan) (means power) or could be some other words.

15. Gianluca72

Wow @Asian Fever thanks a lot for the info, best answer.

16. Gianluca72

@Asian Fever

i've 2 questions please

About mark, i'm not sure that i understand as well, which is the right one ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Second question is : since the moment that there alle all the evidences of a Japanese item, which is the meaning to write on the back "Chinese power" ?

Thanks a lot

17. Asian Fever

Picture # D.

I am not sure with the second word.

18. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Asian Fever, I agree that there is some Japanese influence in the use of raised enamels. But that is something typical for some late 20th c or newer Chinese pieces which roughly remind Japanese Satsuma. I am not aware of something like that from as early as Japanese occupation era. And the thin enamels and very shiny gold are elements which make me believe that this piece is newer. Here is a new vase for comparison, it also has Japanese influence, a crackle glaze, thin enamels and this shiny gold... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PG4X886/ref=psdc_3745451_t1_B00WFQUF02#customerReviews

19. Gianluca72

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    scoutshouse likes this.
  20. Asian Fever

Agree with your thoughts why you are thinking they are newer pieces. However, there's two concerns which made me thought they are occupied japanese ware.
    First, the marking is in traditional method and from right to left which is normally before 1950s.
    Second, as far as I know, there're no Jingdezhen artisans make such quality and pattern porcelain. There could be some probably Cantonese made porcelain in such a style. However, I did see such dish with shiny gold outline in an antique store in KY with occupied japanese mark.(Not dragon pattern, but cherry blossoms pattern.)
    upload_2018-10-12_10-47-3.png

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Gianluca72 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted