Featured ID four-panel Byobu Japanese screen

Discussion in 'Art' started by Luis Dominguez, Sep 18, 2023.

1. Luis Dominguez

Luis Dominguez New Member

IMG_0372.jpeg Purchased this four-panel byobu screen from a lady who said her grandfather brought back while in Japan during WW2.
    I believe that that info is correct especially matching it up to others I’m seeing online going in the $1000’s. The hardware matches the age and so does the silk paper. Though I am no expert and just wanting to deouble check with the rest of you. Ontop of the age, how about the signature? Thanks! View attachment 454189 IMG_0374.jpeg IMG_0378.jpeg IMG_0377.jpeg IMG_0379.jpeg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's a fun screen. :happy:......... can't yet validate those prices though...:(

3. komokwa

going for vs sold for ... two very different states ...;)

4. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

A great an' evocative Dragon...Good pics, too, Thanks!

Luis Dominguez likes this.
  5. Luis Dominguez

Yes VERY true haha I’ve been reselling a couple of years now and learned that the hard way I found maybe 3-4 selling between $1k-$2k, and others are very scattered such as “auctions” on eBay have sold for a mere $45 but those sold at “buy it now” look to have sold for $200+

Figtree3, komokwa and wlwhittier like this.
  6. Luis Dominguez

Thank you, my son and I are history freaks so if it is a WW2 ere screen I’d be very tempted to keep it

komokwa and wlwhittier like this.
  7. Luis Dominguez

8. Luis Dominguez

9. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

The asking prices on 1stdibs & chairish are hallucinations,same w/ the dirt low prices on Ebay.
    You need to gather as many comp sold prices as you can & figure an average.

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  10. Luis Dominguez

Right, but the prices shown on 1stdibs are “out of stock” therefore they sold, they aren’t “asking” prices anymore, they’re “sold” prices.

11. komokwa

I'm not certain about that........?

I thought out of stock, means the item is no longer for sale.....not that it sold ..

bluumz and Luis Dominguez like this.
  12. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

From what I understand, out of stock simply means that the item sold... but not necessarily at the posted asking price.

Potteryplease and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Luis Dominguez

Hmm, I’ll have to look more into that!

bluumz likes this.
  14. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I’d think it possible some are expired listings or accounts. Some maybe sold off platform and seller took them down. Some sold. I really don’t know since I’ve never used those sites but I’d assume it’s not exclusively sold listings if it was me. Could be though.

15. bosko69

I usually can find the 'Sold' price vs the asking price on the Invaluable auction site (along w/ Ebay of course),as far as Icollector,1stDibs & Chairish I'm not sure.
    I've thought about registering w/ some of the above venues,but aren't sure which will ask for tax info,membership fee and a CC number.

Figtree3, Luis Dominguez and komokwa like this.
  16. komokwa

try em all...

17. komokwa

you'll see if any are for u !

18. bosko69

Agree w/ Komo,try em all.You can also send emails to the 'biggies'-Christie's & Sothebys.If those two houses invite you to consign,it's prob worth a grand or more.Of course they're guessing too,they just have a 200 yr old data-base to back them up.

19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Draft saved Draft deleted