Featured ID gemstone in antique Dagestan rings please.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Any Jewelry, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Managed to buy these rare antique Dagestan (Caucasus) rings for even less than a song. They are high grade silver, fineness higher than sterling, with Byzantine style enamel and facet cut stones.
    When I bought them online I thought the stones were glass. But once the rings arrived I saw no bubbles, so I decided to test them. They have a hardness of 8 on the Mohs scale.
    I think they could be spinels, because I can't think of anything else of that hardness and colour. They have no pleochroism, which rules out topaz, I think.
    Dagestan is in the Caucasus region of Russia, and home to many ethnicities. It is on the Caspian sea, so there has always been trade with Iran and Central Asia. Russia is a country with a lot of gemstones, spinels and many others.
    The detailed photos are of the stone with the most damage, so you can see the way it fractures. The white on the chips is just in the photos, not in real life.
    The rings are closed at the back of the stones.
    What do you think?
    Thanks for looking.
    DSC07912 (640x427).jpg DSC07917 (640x480).jpg DSC07915 (640x598).jpg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  2. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

Garnet maybe?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

I also thought of garnet, but that is 7-7.5 Mohs.
    At first I thought morganite, 7,5-8, which to my memory also has a fuchsia-like variety, but when I googled it I only saw pale pink morganite.

kyratango and Joshua Brown like this.
  4. Joshua Brown

What method did you use to test the hardness?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

A diamond tester, also tests other stones. It has been reliable on other stones, including garnets.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Possibly synthetic spinel.

judy, Joshua Brown and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Sorry, should have added, they also fluoresce. Synthetic pink spinel doesn't.

judy and Joshua Brown like this.
  8. Joshua Brown

Synthetic rubies fluoresce and can sometimes be around 8 on the moh scale.

judy and kyratango like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Thanks, didn't know they could be that low on the scale. Still pretty high, but you know what I mean:).

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    judy and Joshua Brown like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

never seen anything like em.......but I like em !
    The ones on each side must have come from the same maker.
    They're all very rich looking !!
    Nice find !

Any Jewelry and Joshua Brown like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Thanks.
    Yes, they certainly have a sumptuous Byzantine look. You rarely find these for sale, and certainly not for the price I paid. If you find Dagestan jewellery it is usually in the general Caucasian niello (blackened design) style, which is beautiful, but these are far more rare. Needless to say I also have Caucasian niello pieces;).

Joshua Brown likes this.
  12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

13. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Are you sure they are stone? The abrasions along the bevels in pics 2 and 3 don't look like what I would see on a stone. Look through a loupe to see if there are any bubbles in them.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  14. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

All gemstones can abrade at facet junctions including diamonds.

Joshua Brown and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

You probably missed these lines, don't worry, happens to me all the time:
    And yes, I studied them through a loupe, always do. Always have one next to my laptop as well, it tends to get in the way of my mouse;).

Absolutely, if you're used to handling antique jewellery you see it a lot.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    Joshua Brown likes this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Here is something on gemstone chipping:

"Gemstone Toughness = resistance to breaking and chipping
    The way the atoms of a gem bond together and the strength of these bonds determine a gemstone’s toughness, or how well a gemstone resists breaking and chipping. The toughness scale used in scientific literature is called a fracture toughness scale. The toughness scale measures the work required to separate two surfaces of a crystal along a certain crystallographic plane. Values range from 225,000 for nephrite and 120,000 for jadeite, considered very tough gems, to 600 for corundum, which is not as tough.
    Values for diamond generally range from 5,000 along the stone’s cleavage planes to over 8,000. Even though diamonds are considered tough, they can break more easily in certain directions, and a hard blow can cleave or fracture the gem. Diamonds with extremely thin girdles and ones with exposed points like those cut as pears and marquises are susceptible to breakage or chipping."
    http://4cs.gia.edu/en-us/blog/more-than-mohs-scale-gem-durability/

Joshua Brown and LIbraryLady like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted