ID help for large oriental rug

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by MTswirls, Nov 30, 2019.

1. MTswirls

MTswirls Well-Known Member

Hi everyone :)

I'm trying to decide if this rug has any value and if it is worth restoring. It is very dirty, so I don't know if it is worth the expense of having it professionally cleaned. It belonged to my mother who collected oriental rugs and had a few very expensive ones. Since I know nothing about rugs, I don't know if this particular rug actually has any value or if it is just a worn out, mass produced rug. I would really appreciate any info such as its possible age and origin. Could this rug be redeemed with a good cleaning, or is it too far gone with the condition it's in?

Thanks so much to anyone who can help!

Attached Files:

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Its hard to tell but that looks like a very pretty needlepoint rug. Almost like an Aubusson . Can you get a close up of the rug ?

3. MTswirls

These are the best pictures I have at the moment, but I will try to add some better quality close up pictures in the next couple of days! Thank you for the info.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

It could be a silk rug, please post close up photos of the reverse side need to see threads, so detail please.

MTswirls likes this.
  5. MTswirls

Sorry it took me so long to get some close up photos. Do these photos tell much more about the rug?
    IMG_1732.jpeg IMG_1735.jpeg IMG_1731.jpeg IMG_1729.jpeg

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

hard to say...
    my 1st thought...a chinese 80 line wool rug that's beat to piss....but looking at the glossy fringes....it may be silk...or have a silk warp....and still has the crap beat out of it...

7. MTswirls

Thanks for the info. I don't think it will be worth restoring at this point. Maybe I can find someone to take it off my hands for $30. I'm not even sure if that's asking too much with the shape it's in.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

good luck......i'll bet it still has some life left in it..!!

MTswirls likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted