ID help needed on large vase?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Tarren M Bailey, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Hello!
    I have been on here once before you you were all so very helpful so i figured I would try again! I have a friend who is going to have an estate sale soon and he's not sure of much information about a vase that was given to him by his grandmother. His grandfather was a world traveler so he suspects it could be a very quality piece? vase-3.jpg vase-2.jpg vase-3.jpg vase-2.jpg vaselid.jpg

Any Jewelry and Pat P like this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I believe it is Chinese. The crack on the base (?) will affect value. But it is very nice to have the carved lid. The Chinese love to reproduce early styles, so you need someone with more expertise than me to date it. Hopefully someone will be along soon.

3. 2manybooks

Search terms: famille-verte baluster jar.

4. 2manybooks

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And it is. I think it is early Qing dynasty, it may even be as old as the one 2many posted.
    Could we see the base? Also a side view of the base? And please no photos between two windows, that is too dark for my old eyes.:watching:
    I agree, the crack in the side(?) decreases the value. I see some whiter areas around it, does that mean it has been repaired and is not visible from the outside? Still a crack, but if it is a good repair, that helps.

judy, komokwa, Pat P and 3 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry and Pat P like this.
  7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Tarren, this is yet another thing about which I know absolutely nothing, but I just wanted to say that I LOVE the colors & think it's gorgeous!

judy, Houseful and Pat P like this.
  8. :) Thank you it is quite pretty!

judy likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

It certainly is.
    Thank you for the extra photos. I should have been a bit more precise in my question, with the base and side of the base I meant the base of the vase itself, without the wooden stand. That can help in dating it.
    The glaze looks more blueish than the ones in the links, is it like that in real life? That would mean a later period, but still antique.

i need help and judy like this.
  10. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

I love it even with the cracks. More pics would be very helpful.
    The carved lids alone (and even wooden bases) are sometimes offered individually in auctions in Sydney and command good prices, ($100-300) especially if they made of Huanghuali dark wood.

11. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Painting detail is much finer in the Christie’s one, so I suspect that OP’s is 20th c.

12. Any Jewelry

I was thinking 19th century. It is probably best if Tarren (or friend) takes it to an expert who can see it 'up close and personal'.

Draft saved Draft deleted