Featured ID help: set of carved wood tables with stone inlay

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by MTswirls, Sep 17, 2019.

1. MTswirls

MTswirls Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to learn about this set of tables. I'm hoping to find out what type of wood they might be made out of. They have stone inlay, and I'm wondering if it is granite? I don't really consider these to be end tables or accent tables. Is there a term for tables like this? Thanks in advance for the help :happy:

IMG_8154.jpeg IMG_8155.jpeg IMG_8156.jpeg IMG_8157.jpeg IMG_8158.jpeg IMG_8159.jpeg IMG_8160.jpeg IMG_8161.jpeg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Pink marble. Very popular as table and low cabinet tops in the 40's.

3. Bakersgma

This shape of table (as well as those that are more round than this) are meant to be up against a wall - often in a foyer or hall. Since this one isn't rounded, it is not a true "demi-lune" (meaning half of the moon) although some might say it is.

4. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

First pic table looks like a Demi lune. The second one doesn’t.

5. MTswirls

Thank you! I actually found the exact table for sale online with the information you gave me. Apparently they are Chinese and made out of tropical hardwood. Similar ones are made of mahogany. They are all dated from the early to mid 20th century.

6. Bakersgma

For some reason I did not realize that there were 2 different tables. :oops:

7. MTswirls

Actually there are three! :) Two of them are identical, and the third one is a larger centerpiece. I should have photographed them in one picture to make that more evident.

8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I would call these pier tables, no?

Christmasjoy and MTswirls like this.
  9. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Mahogany console tables, imitating American or European Victorian Rococo Revival furniture. I'd call the half round one a dimil-lune, the other not. IMO these are from the second half of the 20th century, even the last quarter. SE Asian, from China as you said. The Philippines is also prominent for manufacturers of furniture like this.

Christmasjoy and MTswirls like this.
  10. MTswirls

Ok, thank you for all the info! :happy:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Doubt these tables are mahogany, more likely an Asian hardwood, no?

To quote L. Francis Herreshoff, the great American yacht designer, on the general perceptions of mahogany ..

"There are two types of wood. One is dyed red and called mahogany and the other is not dyed red and not called mahogany." :D:D:D

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  12. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

My brother's mother-in-law is from China, and she gave my brother and his wife a set of carved furniture made of this wood and with this stone; presumably-Chinese-made.
    Theirs are very nice quality, and date I believe to the 60s or 70s.

MTswirls, Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  13. MTswirls

I'm assuming these are tropical hardwood just because that's what I saw the exact same table listed as online. I'm still pretty clueless when it comes to identifying different types of wood, so if someone called a red dyed wood mahongany they'd probably fool me :wacky:

14. AmericanGeode

AmericanGeode Well-Known Member

The wood looks like teak to me. We have tables very similar style, ours are smaller taborets, but they are almost identical to yours, and Chinese carved teak.

MTswirls likes this.
  15. MTswirls

Ok, thanks! An online seller with the same tables claimed they were tropical hardwood, so teak does seem like a good match.

16. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

They are definitely NOT teak! Teak does not take stains or polish well as it is full of silica and is rather coarse grained. This wood is a fine grained asian hardwood that takes a high polish.

MTswirls, all_fakes and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted