ID Marks on Arts & Crafts Copper Candlesticks

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by LoveTheHunt!, Mar 19, 2019.

1. LoveTheHunt!

LoveTheHunt! Well-Known Member

Greetings! I am researching for a friend who has a set of 3 (different heights) of these candlesticks (1 pictured).
    The one shown is maybe 18" tall (I don't have it with me). It has 3 marks inside the bottom edge. One looks like raised initials "RM"(but could be something else?) inside square, next to #3-100. There is also a stamped #108.
    Any info will be appreciated!
    IMG_20190312_132937658~2.jpg IMG_20190312_133207109~2.jpg IMG_20190312_133146755_HDR~2.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That mark is very much like that of Thomas R Markusen of Kendall, NY. He's listed as a silversmith in Rainwater's Encyclopedia of American Silver Manufacturers, Fifth Edition, but with only his name, mark and location, nothing else. He was one of the "exceptional contemporary silversmiths" added to this edition of the book. Since your item is not silver he must have worked in other metals too.

3. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Repurpased copper pipe !!! Very interesting looking ... Joy.

4. Bakersgma

5. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Well Done Bakers !!! Those candlesticks look GREAT when all together like that .. Very nice indeed .. Joy. :) :) :)

6. Bakersgma

Thanks, Joy. Years of scanning though Rainwater has imprinted some unusual entries on my brain more than others.

7. LoveTheHunt!

I think you hit the nail on the head. I found similar items, including a "108D" here:
    http://markusenmetal.com/100C-400C.htm
    The "108D" set is nickel plated. He does also use copper oxide finishes, and other metals such as brass and bronze.
    Some pictured on his web site have a dish for the candle on top, while the one I was shown does not. Not sure whether that is something missing from my friend's candlesticks.

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not arts and crafts. Would say brutalist to my eye.

LoveTheHunt!, Lucille.b, Fid and 4 others like this.
  9. LoveTheHunt!

Yes, much better!