Id oil on canvas, 70x50, signed I.Nardi

Discussion in 'Art' started by Gianluca72, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Gianluca72

Gianluca72 Well-Known Member

Hello friends,

today I propose you this great painting, oil on canvas, 70x50, signed I.Nardi and countersigned on the back IVA NARDI.

I searched the web and I was able to discover that the Nardi italian family is a famous family of painters of the late nineteenth and twentieth century.

But unfortunately in particular, I do not find any argument concerning Iva Nardi.

Through your help I would like to be able to get more information, and a possible dating.

I must admit that this painting leaves me breathless, for the shades of colors used and the softness of the image, which almost seems to float in the air.

I do not know if I can explain well, the feeling I get is that the woman seems to be lighter than the parrot.

Thank you all for your time

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/url][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I am not certain what on the back is related to the artist. It may be the owner or framer. I’m not sure it says Nardi. You should disregard and compare signatures to the one on front.

Gianluca72, Jivvy and silverthwait like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Her face is beautiful. The bracelet looks 1980s, if that is any help.
    The bird is not a parrot with that head and beak, I don't know what it is. It seems to be sliding off her shoulder, which could add to the impression of the woman being lighter than the bird. A symbolist painting.

It does say Iva Nardi on the back, but as Hunting/inh said, the signature is the one on the front.

Gianluca72 and i need help like this.
  4. Gianluca72

On the back there is written Iva Nardi but actually comparing that signature with that "official" of the front, calligraphy are different. Perhaps as @i need help says, maybe that on the back the auctioneer or the old owner of the painting wrote the name of the painter. The frontal signature instead is the original one of the painter and it is very likely that it corresponds to Iva Nardi but unfortunately I can not find anything about her, but I find a lot of information about a family of Nardi painters.
    @Any Jewelry excellent intuition that one of the bracelet, I had not thought about it! :)

Houseful, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's a nice painting....

Gianluca72 likes this.
  6. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

While the size is all wrong, I think the bird may be meant to represent the Bali Mynah.

temp01.jpg

7. Gianluca72

It's really similar :happy:

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

were these exported to other countries as pets ?
    cuz that's the same bird !

Jivvy and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Illegally, yes.

10. Gianluca72

"Questa specie in pericolo critico è il simbolo nazionale dell'Isola di Bali. Questo bellissimo uccello è stato scoperto nel 1912.
    La myna Bali (Leucopsar rothschildi), noto anche come Rothschild"

but then ... from the fact that perhaps that bird is a Bali Mynah, maybe the woman represented in the painting is a beautiful Indonesian, or a beautiful European woman on holiday in Indonesia :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  11. i need help

12. Gianluca72

13. i need help

14. Gianluca72

Yes I was writing the same... :banghead:
    She's not :(

i need help likes this.
  15. i need help

Or if it’s an active website, you can email and she might be familiar with the artist.

Gianluca72 likes this.
  16. Any Jewelry

She doesn't look Indonesian, certainly not Balinese. She could be a fair-skinned Indonesian-European mix, but that is just speculation. I think the bird was either in Europe, or was just the artist's way of adding to the mood of the painting.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    Gianluca72 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted