ID on these Blue Glass with Foil Inclusions Beads

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Curioser, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

Hi all,

These art glass beads are black glass with bright aqua and blue foil-like, free-form inclusions. The graduated beads have a white chalky residue around the holes. Black seed beads are spacers between the art glass beads.

The clasp is marked "Silver" with a round art glass bead in the center of the flower. Kinda has a China or Japan vibe to the clasp but I may be wrong .

I know there are "foil beads" and I have found some listed online with statements saying origin is Japan. That was my first guess. Does anyone have some confident ID thoughts?

TIA

Attached Files:

kyratango likes this.
  2. Curioser

Oops! Last pic didn't upload:

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3706262F-ADEF-42F6-9E1A-050B41816F89.jpeg AC3C5D76-3261-4298-B8FF-518EC26204AC.jpeg 0F3D212C-B208-4C21-8B5D-09C60F43EF28.jpeg You can choose Full Image instead of thumbnail for photos. :)

KSW, Bakersgma, quirkygirl and 3 others like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Japanese foiled glass lamp work vintage beads. Ruthie like! (drooling is more to the point) I'd be too busy hoarding those to sell them. That sort of bead is rather fragile, so be careful how you handle them and if selling pack to resist gorillas.

KSW and i need help like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Lovely color!

i need help likes this.
  6. Curioser

Thanks, evelyb30! That was my first thought just curious if anyone had a different idea on origin.

i need help likes this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I would guess Japan, too. They are GORGEOUS and these vintage foil beads (especially ones this nice) definitely have a following.

8. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Dichroic would be an additional term you could use if you are looking to list them (or to search for them).

9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Beautiful colour. I love foil beads. One of my musings is whether the beads like this that have straighter cut tidier foil are more modern than the deco ones where the foil is more untidy and integral to the bead. Does that make sense?. If not I'll find some photos.

10. evelyb30

I know both kinds, so it does to me. I think they were both made at the same time, but were two different techniques. Dichroic is a different kettle of fish.

11. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

I was thinking dichroic was different, but when I googled it, I got tons of images with beads just like this one (I guess lots of items mislabeled as dichroic).

But now that I've thought on it, and pictured it in my head, dichroic is different than the OP's beads. That's what I get for trying to answer in the two seconds I had before I went out the door.

Thanks for the correction ebelyb!

12. evelyb30

Draft saved Draft deleted