ID request Faience plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Vogel, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Vogel

Vogel Member

Hello, I'm a new member. The reason for this threat is this faience plate, which I believe to be tin glazed, marked with an 'M'. My first guess is Italian. I'ld highly appreciate to hear your opinion in case you happen to recognize the style or age of this colorful plate. Thank you for your time and effort.

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Vogel

Vogel Member

[​IMG]

Olive branches on the reversed side:
    [​IMG]

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice photo's......:happy:

Vogel, i need help, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Or laurel.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

or smudges.....

why bother to mess up the back of the plate that way....it looks childish..?

is that some kinda known style or something???

Vogel and i need help like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That would be mine as well. It is very charming, but I can't help, sorry.
    I agree.
    The decorations are all painted in a rather casual way, which makes you focus on the cartouche with the Madonna and child. Italian ceramics are often decorated that way. As if they think 'out of sight, out of mind'.;)
    The Madonna and child were also painted in a 'free' style, with two feet and the Madonna's left hand deliberately crossing over the cartouche. They were probably painted by one of the better painters, the decorations by his pupils.
    This was never intended to be a masterpiece, but rather a charming piece by an accomplished painter and his workshop.

7. Any Jewelry

aaroncab, Jivvy, judy and 3 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

@i need help I tagged you in the previous post, but it didn't seem to work. Hope this will. Oh, I see what happened, tagged you twice now.:D:)

i need help likes this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

FA6F110A-7808-4009-9C3B-70E350241956.jpeg I have been unsuccessfully searching this already, but will continue, but I’ll expand the asking for help to @say_it_slowly snd @janetpjohn. :)

Also enlarged the building (Church?)

judy, Any Jewelry and Vogel like this.
  10. Vogel

Vogel Member

Sorry to hear one of the experts isn't among us anymore. Nevertheless, you seemed to have learned a lot from him. I'm grateful for all comments.

judy, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Yes it is.:)

judy, Vogel and i need help like this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Flattered but I don't know much about ceramics. I would think, because of its exuberance, the plate was Italian but the colorway does look like it could be Spanish. Does anyone else see cactus and cactus fruit in the border?

Debora

Any Jewelry and Vogel like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Possibly. Not sure if that narrows it down though, you see cacti in most, maybe all, Mediterranean countries. There are many on Malta.
    Not sure if this is Maltese. Malta has a mix of styles from both sides of the Med, some more Italian, some more North African, but all more 'controlled' than this plate.

Maltese:
    [​IMG]

judy and Vogel like this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Of course, cacti are found all around the Mediterranean but an unusual design motif, I'd think. Malta certainly is an idea.

Debora

i need help, Any Jewelry and Vogel like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

I don't think Maltese, given the free style of painting. On to Malta's close neighbour, Sicily. Another island with a lot of cacti.;)
    The plate lower left has a similar free style, but no Madonna's as yet:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.ceramichemaremoro.com/en/shop/small-plates-sicilian-ceramic-set-agira/?v=79cba1185463

More about Caltagirone, Sicily's ceramics capital:
    http://slowitaly.yourguidetoitaly.com/2014/10/caltagirone-the-colorful-capital-of-ceramics/

Halfway down the page I found this tile with a church on it:

[​IMG]

Caltagirone has a ceramics museum, Museo Regionale della Ceramica. They have a facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/Museo-Regionale-della-Ceramica-Caltagirone-84094961769/
    Contact seems to be through the regional cultural hub in Catania, contact info at the bottom of this page:
    http://poloregionalecatania.net/

I hope I am not sending you on a wild goose chase.:shame:

i need help, judy and Vogel like this.
  16. Vogel

Vogel Member

Not at all; interesting findings, I'ld say. Thank you for the Catania details; seems worth trying.

i need help, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Sorry I'm not going to be much help. I'd have thought Italy or Spain also though it looks pretty recent to me so can't rule out a Chinese copy of something. Thinking about the loss of our lovely Walter.

18. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Sadly, I can't help any more than the info already given here - agree on most likely Italian.

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted