ID these small plates please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by rhiwfield, Nov 21, 2017.

1. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Plate on left has fluted scalloped rim, looks like Delft Chinoiserie, and is signed as well (though that hasn't helped me so far!). 6.4" diameter. Looks hand painted. No damage though, which is unusual

Plate on right has an unusual pattern, possibly minarets, possibly bell towers. 6.75" diameter. Possibly hand painted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kyratango and cxgirl like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

3. rhiwfield

Wow SIS, I think you may be right!!

I was heading in totally the wrong direction.

Wow again!!

And thank you!!

kyratango likes this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I have a lovely pair of English delftware plates with the powder blue border and Chinoiserie scene so I understand why you were looking in that direction.

The other transferware plate is a bit odd, if English, as it has no border pattern. I did a look through Coysh & Henrywood's Dictionary of Blue & White Printed Pottery wondering if maybe a larger transfer was applied to a smaller piece without room for a border but I didn't see this pattern. Snyder's Romantic Staffordshire didn't have it either (or not that I could recognize). Sorry.

5. rhiwfield

Thanks again SIS!

About the only thing I got right was asking for help :)

So it looks like the Worcester plate dates to c1770.

Now the other plate was in the same auction lot and I think its a keeper until it can be identified. The pattern is quite distinctive so I live in hope.

Draft saved Draft deleted