ID two prints from the '70s (maybe)

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lynnie, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Lynnie

Lynnie Active Member

These two prints each measure 18"x28" and are printed on heavy textured stock. There is no identification on either one. They do look familiar, though. Does either one ring a bell?

TIA,

Lynnie

702print1.jpg 702print2.jpg

2. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

3. Lynnie

Lynnie Active Member

I thought it looked like Lucy as well!

Lynnie

4. Lynnie

Lynnie Active Member

Update--the "Lucy" picture has a name and date along the right hand side' "W. Hetherington, '80. Google isn't helping me at all. Thoughts?

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Probably 1980 -- not 1880. That's not too helpful, maybe.

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

It is "Lucy" but the surrounding area is just pure imagination. I have been inside her many times. She has been moved four times if I remember correctly.
    greg

yourturntoloveit and Figtree3 like this.
  7. Jivvy

I think the surrounding info is taken from the photo I posted plus a little imagination (for the grass and trees).

I think the artist worked directly from the photo.

2manybooks likes this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Greg, Do you think the other one could also be done from a scene in New Jersey? Maybe it's too generic to tell?

9. Jivvy

Try as I might, I could not find a harbor anywhere with a control tower in it. :hilarious:

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

To me the perspective is very weird on the marina one. The larger boat seems to float in the air or is being held up by the strange black shapes along the wood dock. If this will help that is probably a yacht club building in the background.

11. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

I love Lucy.
    Really - had grandparents near the shore in N.J. and adored her everytime we drove by.

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The background to the elephant is a version of Brighton Pavilion. On acid. The harbour looks British, too.

13. Jivvy

14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Jivey,
    I think you are right about the artist looking at the photo. Since it was taken before I was even born. I wonder if they had photography? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    The tower in the first picture is harbour masters lookout. Since most of the harbours in NJ were wiped out before the 1930s hurricane it would be wonderful to find a photo that the artist might have used.
    greg

Figtree3 and Jivvy like this.
  15. Jivvy

Knowing what it's called has gotten me closer, but no luck on finding the pic.

(Not 100% sure why I'm looking, it won't help with the artist. :bucktooth::hilarious:)

Figtree3 likes this.
  16. Lynnie

Lynnie Active Member

Thank you all for your comments.

Lynnie

Draft saved Draft deleted