ID wide waist belt designer/This was Solved! Thanks

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by antique85, Jul 30, 2021.

1. antique85

antique85 Well-Known Member

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post.

I have searched for hours (upon hours) to figure out this designer of this belt. I can't find a similar belt in online which really makes it hard. I thought maybe the logo was Brioni so I emailed pictures to Brioni. They were quite nice, but they said belt's logo is not Brioni.

Part of the gold lettering is worn off. I think maybe a whole letter is worn off at end. In the last photo, I added red lines where I thought the lettering might be worn off. Any ideas would be appreciated. Also, I am not quite sure what this belt is made of.

Full Belt.JPG DSCN3800.JPG DSCN3811.JPG designer name.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think you're looking for a manufacturer rather than a designer. It appears to be made of lizard grain leather.

Debora

reader, Figtree3 and antique85 like this.
  3. antique85

Thank you for letting me know it is most likely a manufacturer. I haven't found a list for vintage belt makers. I looked through the following list of bag manufacturers, but didn't see anything --mainly because I am not even sure what the first letter is: "https://bagladyemporium.com/BLU/index.php?n=Category.Makers" I think it maybe it is a "P" or a "B"?

Thank you for identifying what it is made out of. Using this information, I tried to locate a similar belt by doing a Google image search using various combinations of these words "vintage lizard grain leather wide waist belt."

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I didn't find anything like with a quick internet search either but looks 1990s-ish and inspired by the work of jewelry designers who were designing accessories for clothing designers. Someone like Robert Lee Morris. Wasn't expensive in its time. And, wear to clasp effects resale value.

Debora

s_5e9f4ec8e97e4861ccd058de.jpg

Lucille.b, reader and antique85 like this.
  5. antique85

Thank you for that information. I appreciate it.

Debora likes this.
  6. antique85

Does anyone have any ideas about the manufacturer? Is the first letter a P? a B? something else?

7. lovewrens

lovewrens Well-Known Member

Looks like a P to me.

Bronwen and antique85 like this.
  8. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Agree with Debora that it’s “after” Morris whose name you cannot use. I don’t think the designer matters and you have your keywords with Vintage Wide Black Lizard Stamp Leather Brass (I think-check it out) Buckle Belt. I do think it’s 80s, not 90s. Put the width and length in the title and in the description give an idea of how much bigger it can be made with punches if needed.

antique85 likes this.
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I can sort of push it into being Prince. I have a belt my mother gave me that is the same idea: wide leather with a large, gold tone, modernist buckle. Think she gave it to me in the 70s or 80s.

judy, Any Jewelry and antique85 like this.
  10. antique85

Bronwen thank you so much for this information. I did a google search using "Prince" and "vintage lizard grain leather wide waist belt" and this designer appeared:"prince kamy yar". See image below. Perhaps, the logos match if just the first word of "Prince" is used and the "P" is capitalized?
    I have seen high prices for these type of belts --but they are by designers.

belt logo prince.jpeg

Bronwen likes this.
  11. antique85

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    Figtree3, Lucille.b, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Bronwen and judy like this.
  13. reader

reader Well-Known Member

JMO but if i were selling your belt I would not use the name. I think it’s a great piece but i would not want someone easily finding a similar piece by the same company priced at $20 unless I’m misreading the listing. The company name is not important and has no cachet. The belt however is terrific.

Marketing is a funny thing. Sometimes it’s all about the brand and sometimes not. Just because you’ve figured out the brand doesn’t mean you need to market the belt by the brand.

Bronwen and antique85 like this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It appears that, as I thought, Priore was not a designer but a manufacturing and importing company.

"Prior to his real estate career, Mr. Lopriore established a manufacturing facility and an import company for leather goods as CEO of both Micro Handbags and Priore Bags and Belts."

https://www.loopnet.com/brokerdirectory/profile/frank-lopriore/vzndm4e

Debora

Figtree3, Bronwen and antique85 like this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think that, in the example posted above by @ Any Jewelry, Priore is the model name, not the name of the manufacturer.

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
  16. antique85

Debora: I can't believe you found this information identifying--Mr. Lopriore as the CEO of Priore bags and belts!! Absolutely amazing. It is so informative. One thing that is particularly interesting and helpful to know is that the company also manufacturer bags. and also that he was the CEO of both Micro Handbags.

I did find a Priore purse online (the only one), and the label states "Englewood, NJ" which aligns with what you found-- as Mr. Lopriore is from NJ.

priore englewood nj.jpeg
    View attachment 342424

Bronwen likes this.
  17. antique85

Reader: Thank you for this very helpful advice. You are absolutely correct: the prices are very low. I believe my type of belt as described "vintage lizard grain leather wide waist belt" could sell for around $80-although the buckle is a bit discolored.

After a lot of searching, I did find a few more pictures of Priore belts which are shown below.

I wonder why there are so few Priore items online.

One thing that I find very interesting is that the reason I could not identify "Priore" as a manufacturer is that I only searched on ebay, and there are no listings on ebay for "Priore" --even in the "sold" category and "worldwide" category. I find this to be odd.

priore cloth found .jpeg priore found etsy .jpeg priore found kitizen.jpeg

18. antique85

Thank you for this information about how to describe the buckle --"large gold tone modernist buckle." It is very helpful.

Bronwen likes this.
  19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Englewood, New Jersey. Few accounts, small volume which would be why not many pieces to be found. May well have closed when imports started coming in from China in 1990s.

Debora

Any Jewelry, Figtree3 and antique85 like this.
  20. antique85

Debora: Thank you for this information. I appreciate all your help and the help of everyone else who posted. I found this to be very interesting and informative, and I learned a lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted