Ideas for Repairing 19th Century Shabbat Candlesticks

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Barn Owl, May 21, 2019.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Sorry for the poor picture. I didn't take it.

I recently purchased this pair of Norblin & Co. candlesticks made in Russian occupied Warsaw. They're galvanized silver plate, some of which has worn away. My main concern is that one of the 'petticoats' is loose, and I want to find a way to secure it to the base once more. As well, it looks like one of the candlesticks is slightly crooked. I'd love some tips on how to repair these affordably. I don't plan to sell them, but I want to restore them to their former glory.

This is what they should look like: http://www.russiansamovars.com/product_detail.php?ID=1137

thumbnail (10).jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Any Jewelry and scoutshouse like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

good luck..!

scoutshouse and Barn Owl like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

can you bend one by hand..........carefully..?

Any Jewelry, scoutshouse and Barn Owl like this.
  4. Barn Owl

I'll probably try that. I wonder if heating them would make them more malleable to bend...

scoutshouse likes this.
  5. Barn Owl

Thank you! :) I've been looking for a pair for ages, so I'm happy that I finally own one (even if they're a bit damaged). I paid less than I would for a new pair of candlesticks, so I'm happy.

Any Jewelry and scoutshouse like this.
  6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Not unless you get the temp up to about 1000 degrees Fahrenheit

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Never heard of "galvanized" silver plate before. Can anyone explain what that means?

8. Barn Owl

Err... this is what I found: https://www.galvanizing.org.uk/hot-dip-galvanizing/history-of-galvanizing/

So I think it's basically early electroplated silver...?

This was what I found on a site I looked at while researching the candlestick marks:

" The inscription "GALW" is the shortening of Polish word "GALWANIZACJA" ("GALVANIZATION") and refers to the method of silver deposition. "

scoutshouse likes this.
  9. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Is there a nut underneath? They look like the kind that has a rod up the middle holding all the separate pieces together. If so then bending the rod
    will be a lot easier.

10. Barn Owl

Err, I'm not sure... I don't have them in front of me yet. They have a hole in the bottom.
    thumbnail (74).jpg

scoutshouse likes this.
  11. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Think there are too many flimsy bits to be one piece sticks. Either there is a rod or they all unscrew from each other with those flat bits being held in between.

Any Jewelry, scoutshouse and Barn Owl like this.
  12. Barn Owl

Thank you. I'll check once I have them in my hands.

Sorry, I guess this thread was a bit premature...

komokwa, Miscstuff and scoutshouse like this.
  13. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I'd use bits of clear epoxy in the joints carefully applied with a toothpick. Have a paper towel ready to wipe off any on a visible area.

14. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

The one on the right looks like a few of my Christmas trees over the years!

With any luck, there's a bit of perspective distortion from the camera angle and position. Unless you have an 'undo' button, I'd probably not try and bend it.

Draft saved Draft deleted