Ideas needed please

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by christine cavell-sibley, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Hi all
    me again!

The blue necklace looks to be Egyptian (maybe). I think the "stone" is ceramic, it doesn't feel like stone (my first thought was Turquoise but looking at it more closely I don't think it is. There is a scarab beetle on the top "stone" and there is a picture of a woman with what looks like Hieroglyphics behind her

The locket feels like plastic. I don't know who the people are in the middle but they might give a clue to the age of the necklace.

Finally the rosary. Inside the cross is a picture of Jerusalem.

Any ideas on how old these things are (or even what they might be worth) would be great.

Thank you[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  2. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Yeah she's quite scary looking isn't she..It's all so frustrating because she's clearly something to do with my family (as is the boy) but the few of us who are left have no idea who they were...

Thank you for that I will have a look

KingofThings and lauragarnet like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Use the term "Stanhope" for the cross with picture inside.

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The locket might be tortoise shell or horn, not plastic.
    The chain it is hanging on is interesting as well. I've seen those before, will have to put my thinking cap on.

Adding,
    I think this dates to the late 1800s

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Possibly:
    Gutta Percha and horn

1. Gutta Percha tough plastic substance from the latex of several Malaysian trees (genera Payena and Palaquium) of the sapodilla family that resembles rubber but contains more resin and is used especially as insulation and in dentistry in temporary fillings

http://www.abrandtandson.com/products/copy-of-victorian-gutta-percha-carved-horn-chain-pendant

Vulcanite

ˈvəlkəˌnīt/
    noun
    noun: vulcanite
    1. hard black vulcanized rubber.

http://www.abrandtandson.com/products/copy-of-victorian-gutta-percha-carved-horn-chain-pendant

7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Can you get a close up of the marks on the wings of the scarab piece ? My first thought was 1920s , possibly french , but thats just a guess .

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I was just going to mention the possible marks on the Egyptian Revival wings. I would love to see them closer up!

9. Had to break out the big camera for this one lol. Hope these help[​IMG] [​IMG]

lauragarnet likes this.
  10. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Hi - you need to use the macro function for good close-ups of the marks at the end of the wings, a shot of the back might be helpful too. From what I can see on your original pic, while it resembles turquoise or faience, looks more like glass to me - the oval mark appears to have Arabic characters, probably a number...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    lauragarnet and Bakersgma like this.
  11. Have turned my flash off in the hope this is a bit better[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lauragarnet likes this.
  12. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The chain on the last piece is typical of a solid carved chain, often done in jet. In essence a stick is carved away to make a chain, with no joints. Ortherwise how would it be put together?

lauragarnet likes this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The cross, is a rosary. Nice one too. The Egyptian piece doesn't look as old as it wants to be; the back is all wrong. The bits from King Tut's Tomb went on tour in the 1970s, and Egyptian themed jewelry was back for a while. This could be a mid-1970s piece rather than 1920s.

lauragarnet likes this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

My grandmother (born 1885) had the exact same stanhope. Sold it on eBay several years ago. Lots of collectors but not very fancy as stanhopes go. It wasn't ivory. Think it was bone.

The Egyptian necklace certainly looks modernish but you didn't include a photograph of the clasp, which would provide a clue as to age.

Debora

lauragarnet likes this.
  15. Yeah I think the rosary is bone...Doesn't feel like ivory

The clasp on the Egyptian piece is just a bog standard ring clasp. Apart from the Gutta Percha/Vulcanite necklace I think these were probably gifts from my great aunt to my grandmother. She was involved with the Army and was based away a lot so used to travel when she could.

The Gutta Percha/Vulcanite (it doesn't feel like Jet..Definitely more of a plasticy feel) is still stumping me. I've been going through the family tree today to try and figure out who the children might be..

16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm with Ruth on the 70s Egyptian Revival thing.

KingofThings likes this.
  17. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Cheryl, here's the best I can do with the mark on the right wing tip from the latest pics. Macro pics would certainly help in IDing those marks in possibly IDing country and time frane. Anyways here's the mark on the right wing tip. Does look Arabic, but these old eyes can't see it well enough. Don't know if an Egyptian hallmark or not. Is it a snake and an Arabic letter or 2 Arabic letters?

--- Susan

image.jpeg

18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

If it were Egyptian silver, it ought to be something like two or three Egyptian numbers to indicate silver content - those for 9 and 0 typically. Then you get the lotus flower and the town makr. That doesn't look right to me.

Ladybranch and KingofThings like this.
  19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

and for some reason the wings look reversed ..

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted