Ideas on 1908 badge

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KSW, Jun 12, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Any ideas on this metal badge please ( for want of a better description). Apparently found metal detecting but no idea where although I'm in the UK.
    Apart from the 1908 the top motif looks like a C with a wobbly I through the centre and the bottom is just visible a head with writing around the outside as you would see on a coin. Sadly so eroded no detail can be seen to decipher it. Slot on one end and tab on the other. Stamped metal with nothing on the reverse.
    Just idle curiosity but I'd like to know its story.
    Thankyou :)
    FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_6307.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Looks like something was attached in the circle at some time.
    1908 was the London Olympic Games.

Soak in virgin olive oil might get rid of the verdigris.

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I did think it was like the walking stick badges but it would be too small. Good point about the Olympics though.

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@KSW, after playing around, enlarging, enhancing, inverting & back again, I THINK, (being the key word) I was able to pull out the image I outlined somewhat next to what's in the circle in the upper part of the buckle.....I was NOT able to figure out anything on the lower part!!! Hoping what I outlined means something!!!

FullSizeRender-2-XX-gigapixel-scale-2_00x.jpg

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

And JUST NOW after posting I think I'm seeing a right facing profile of possibly an Indian and an eye???? If that verdigris is gone that might help!!!!

6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Ooh well done with the top!. I've just got to do a work zoom call and I'll be back!.

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted